This Mexican-ish/Southwestern black bean salad recipe is based on my old salsa recipe, but it’s way better.
Tips for Making Black Bean and Corn Salad;
Make sure you rinse and drain the black beans before you get started. You don’t want the liquid in the can in your salad or it will be soupy.
I love using fresh sweet corn in this salad during the summertime. Cut the corn kernels off a large ear of corn with a sharp knife. You don’t have to cook the sweet corn, you can add it to the salad raw. If corn is out of season, you can use frozen corn or drained canned corn.
Use grape or cherry tomatoes and cut them in half. You can also use a large tomato and chop it, both work great!
Red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, or orange bell pepper can be used in this black bean salad. They will all add great color and flavor.
Use red onion because I love the pop of purple, but green onion will work too.
Fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro really boost the flavor in this salad. If you are in the group that thinks cilantro tastes like soap, you could use fresh parsley instead.
Don’t skip the olive oil, it brings the salad together.
I add chili powder and cumin. The chili powder doesn’t make the salad spicy, it just gives it a nice flavor. If you want to add heat to the salad, you can add diced jalapeño.
Stir in the avocado right before serving. You can prepare the salad in advance and store it in the fridge for hours, even a day before serving if you wish. Just wait to stir in the avocado right before. Stir gently so it doesn’t get mashed up.
Season with plenty of salt to bring out all of the flavors.
- 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15-oz. can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 15-oz. can corn, drained
- 4-oz. can dice green chiles
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Avocado slices, for topping
- Combine all ingredients (minus avocado) in a large bowl.
- Mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Top with avocado slices just before serving.