This is a triple summer fruit salad that is finished with a lemon poppy seed dressing. You can make this salad in minutes no matter how tight your schedule may be. To select good strawberries they should have a nice red colour, no dark spots, no mould, and check out the leaves – those green tops should look vibrant and fresh.
To pick a good pineapple smell the bottom, it should have that sweet pineapple scent. To select kiwi look for some that are fairly soft when pressed. Those that are firm are sour and unripe. Small or large size won’t matter. This salad has a perfect combination of flavours and the lemon poppy seed dressing is to die for.
You will start by dicing a pineapple, to know if your pineapples are ripe, just tug in the leaves and if it comes out easily then your pineapple is ripe and ready. Cut the top and the bottom of the pineapple then stand it up and cut the rind and once the rind is off, cut the flesh from the pithy centre. Dice up all your pineapples and put them into a serving bowl.
Next, you will work on your strawberries, cut the tops off then quarter reach strawberries and if you have small strawberries then just cut them in halves. Once you have cut around two pounds of strawberries, move on to four to six peeled kiwis, cut them in half then slice them and put them into your mixing bowl too.
For the dressing, you will make it directly on the fruit salad. Pour two tablespoons of sugar over the fruits then add a tablespoon of poppy seeds and pour three tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. Gently stir everything together and be careful you dint smash any of the fruits then let the fruits chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before serving.
- 1 pineapple
- 2 pounds of strawberries
- 4 kiwis
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Prepare the fruits. Pineapple: Cut the pineapple into bite-sized cubes.
- Strawberries: Rinse them thoroughly, hull them, and cut the big strawberries into quarters, and the smaller ones in half for bite-sized pieces.
- Kiwis: Peel the kiwi, then cut into bite-sized cubes.
- Combine all the prepared fruit in a large mixing bowl. Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the fruit. Sprinkle the sugar and poppy seeds over and then stir gently to combine.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.