These Scalloped creamy potatoes are a classic homestyle favorite. They make a simple and satisfying side dish. To start, preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, we are going to use 2 to 3 pounds of peeled then sliced potatoes. Arrange a third of the sliced potatoes into the baking dish and sprinkle them with salt and pepper to taste.
To help the sauce thicken while the potatoes bake, sprinkle three tablespoons of flour and two tablespoons of diced butter at the top. Repeat the layers two more times until all the potatoes are complete with 6 more tablespoon of flour and 4 tablespoons of diced butter are used.
After you are done arranging and sprinkling with your desired spices, slowly pour a cup of milk over the potatoes until three-quarters of the potatoes are covered with milk. Bake to a preheated oven until the milk comes to a boil ]ing point for around 15 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 375 Fahrenheit and continue baking until the potatoes are tender.
These scalloped potatoes are so simple and they come out simple and delicious everytime. You can either serve it with chicken or other stew of your choice. Enjoy.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk or half & half
- Salt & pepper
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) freshly shredded cheddar cheese + 1/4 cup for topping
- Paprika, for garnish
- Fresh chopped chives or parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and grease a 13″x9″ baking pan with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Scrub potatoes and place them, whole, into the boiling water. Cook for about 20 minutes. Remove from the water and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, until flour is golden brown; about 2 minutes. Stir in milk and cook, stirring often, until thickened; about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Gently peel potatoes and slice into 1/8 inch rounds. Place 1/3 of the potatoes overlapping in a single layer in the baking dish, seasoning with salt and pepper. Spoon about 1/3 of the cheese sauce on top of the potatoes.
- Repeat for two more layers. Pour all of the remaining cheese sauce over the top layer of potatoes. Spread to ensure all of the potatoes are covered.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup shredded cheddar (if desired) and paprika (about 1/8-1/4 teaspoon.
- Bake in the 350-degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh chopped chives or parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.