This sauteed cabbage is the perfect side dish for any meal. It is so simple yet satisfying and it is packed with a little punch. Sautéed cabbage brings this previously under-appreciated cruciferous veggie from boring to crispy-tender and from bland to super-tasty.
Start by dicing some onion and garlic and then slice a beautiful head of fresh cabbage. Sautéed cabbage is delicious paired with fish or served with rice or noodles for a healthy Asian vegetarian dinner.
- 2 pounds white cabbage, core removed and shredded (10 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt or more to taste
- Half of a lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the cabbage, garlic, red pepper flakes, and the salt. It might seem like too much cabbage for the pan, but as it cooks, the cabbage will wilt down.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the cabbage is tender and some of the cabbage begins to turn a light brown; 10 to 15 minutes.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 lemon wedges over the cabbage.
- Taste then adjust with more salt, pepper, and lemon juice as needed.