Fluffy, buttery layers speckled with fresh herbs and sharp cheese – these rosemary cheddar buttermilk biscuits are a show-stopping accompaniment to any meal. These biscuits are so soft and flaky, with a tender crumb thanks to the buttermilk, golden tops, and sweet little pockets thanks to the melted butter. Adding cheddar and fresh herbs just take them to the next level and make them that much more special, especially for accompanying a savory main.
If you love biscuits, you’re going to love these cheese and rosemary buttermilk biscuits. Another way to serve these biscuits is for brunch with bacon and eggs or with hearty soups. If you have leftover turkey, chicken, ham or beef and a little gravy The best part, this is still a 30-minute recipe.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 1 Tbsp. Baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh chopped rosemary or 1 Tbsp. GF dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Pure sea salt
- 1/2 cup (I stick) cold salted butter, grated
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 450 F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, rosemary, sugar, xanthan gum, pepper and salt
- Add grated butter and using a pastry blender or a large fork, mix until the mixture resembles small lumps. Add cheese and mix together
- In a small bowl whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add to dry ingredients and using a spatula stir just enough until the dough comes together. Do not over stir
- Transfer dough on a large piece of parchment paper lightly sprinkled with gluten-free flour. Roll the dough using the parchment paper into a cylinder about 2-inches in diameter.
- Slice by cross-section into 12 even pieces and place on the prepared baking sheet about 1-inch apart. Or you can roll the dough with your hands into 12 equal balls, then using your hand slightly flatten them
- Bake for 16 – 18 minutes until the tops are golden and the bottoms lightly browned.
- Transfer to a cooling rack