This roasted broccoli with garlic shot up to the top of my list for my favorite side dish. It is easy to prepare and ready in just 20 minutes. If you wash your broccoli just before roasting makes sure to pat off any excess water before roasting. Too much extra water will just cause the broccoli to steam in the oven instead of crisping up. Chop up the broccoli into flat, bite-sized pieces lengthwise before roasting. About halfway through your cook, remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip over the broccoli to ensure both sides can crisp up.
Start with cutting your lemon in half the pour some olive oil into a baking dish and drop the lemons all over. Put the lemons cut side down and sprinkle a little salt over them. Put the pan into the oven at 425 degrees until the lemons are soft and golden brown that should take about 45 minutes. Cut the bottom of the garlic cloves so the cloves are exposed then put a little olive oil on the top that covers it in an aluminum foil. Put that in the same sheet that you will use to roast your broccoli. Wash your broccoli then go around the head of the broccoli and cut the florets off. Split the broccoli into bigger pieces in half and the ut them into a big bowl, toss a little olive oil, salt, and pepper and then put them onto a baking sheet. Put the broccoli cut slide down so it stays flat then place them in the oven for 20 minutes until nice and golden.
Remove the garlic from the kitchen foil once basked then mash them into a bowl then squeeze in the roasted lemon and scrape out all the pulp. Add in some olive oil, salt, and pepper then give that a good mix. Another ingredient that you can add here is honey if you need to balance out the acidity. Put the roasted broccoli in the bowl then toss them gently then serve.
- 2lbs/900g broccoli cut up
- 2 lemons
- 1 garlic head
- olive oil
- honey as needed
- 1/4 cup parsley optional
- Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit or 220 degrees Celsius. Cut lemons in half. Cut off garlic head to expose all cloves.
- Put a tablespoon of olive oil in a baking dish. Place cut lemons in a dish and rub all over with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt. Roast in the heated oven for 45 minutes.
- Place garlic in a piece of foil with a tsp olive oil. Rub all over garlic.
- Wrap foil around garlic into a sealed packet and place on a baking sheet.
- Set timer to 25 minutes. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Wash and dry broccoli. Cut into florets and place in a bowl.
- Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, and 1/2 tsp coarse salt.
- After the timer is up for 25 minutes, take a hot tray with garlic out of the oven.
- Put broccoli onto the same tray and put all florets cut side down so they are flat and in a single layer.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until broccoli is cooked and golden.
- Remove dish with lemons and tray with garlic and broccoli from oven after a total of 45 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic cloves into a bowl.
- Squeeze pulp from only one lemon into same bowl and mix. Add a teaspoon of the lemon juice from the baking dish.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Taste and add more lemon pulp/juice if your lemons are small.
- Taste and add a teaspoon of honey if the dressing is tart. Add chopped parsley. Toss broccoli in this dressing and serve warm.