These are extra corny cornbread muffins, it has a stone ground cornmeal and you can amp up the corn flavor with fresh corn. Start by shucking the corn off the cob and reserve half a cup of the kernels for sprinkling later on. In a big bowl, add all purpose flour and cornmeal, sugar, these are not necessarily sweet muffins but there is some sugar to bring out the natural sweetness in the corn and to balance all the black pepper that’s coming later on. Add baking powder, baking soda, a good amount of salt and a half teaspoon of pepper then add one and a half or corn to the dry ingredients and stir that to combine. After the dry ingredients have been well combined, make a well in the center which is where all of the wet ingredients will go.
The wet ingredients include. two eggs, one yolk, sour cream, and whole milk, whisk that to combine then stream in one stick of melted butter. Add that into the well in the dry ingredients and stir in a circular motion to start to combine all the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Don’t overwork this butter and once you are done, spray your regular or muffin tin then using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter amongst all the muffin cups. You can also use a cup measure and you could also just do it with a soon, it doesn’t have to be super precise. If you have any reserve corns, sprinkle them on top and then a sprinkle of flaky sea salt. Into a 400 degrees oven, bake them for 18 to 30 minutes or until they are golden brown. While the muffins are in the oven, make some honey butter.
Add two sticks of unsalted butter in a stand mixer and beat it until it smooths then drizzle some honey depending with how sweet you want it and a pinch of salt. Once itis well combined and spreadable, remove and place it in a small bowl. Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool in a wire rack then crack your muffins and spread the honey butter on. These cornbread muffins will be so delicious and so corny hot and steamy.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups cornmeal
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- 2¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 1½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ⅔ cup milk
- ½ cup (1 stick) melted unsalted butter, cooled
- Flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°. Generously coat a standard 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in 1½ cups corn.
- Lightly whisk eggs and egg yolk in a medium bowl, then whisk in sour cream, milk, and butter.
- Create a well in the center of dry ingredients. Pour egg mixture into well and stir with a wooden spoon until batter is just combined.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Top with remaining ½ cup corn, then sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake the muffins, rotating the pan halfway through, until tops are golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 18–20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly in the pan. Transfer muffins to a wire rack and eat while warm or let cool completely.