This is a great idea to combine a french toast with cheese. crack three good quality eggs in a bowl and instead of adding salt to your eggs, you are going to add parmesan cheese because it is salty enough and will give you a lovely crust. For the toast components, you will use some white bread for this and you can either cut off the crust with a serrated knife or leave the bread as they are.
For the cheesy filling, apply dijon mustard to each bread and also you can leave that if you don’t like. You want to use any cheese that you like, on that will melt really nice like mozzarella or cheddar cheese. Fill the bread quite generously then cover with the other layer of the slice. In a large non-stick pan, add a small amount of extra virgin oil and then for this french toast you have to fry in some butter.
Add a few knobs of butter and allow it to melt away, press on the bread a little more because you do want it to stick then dunk into the yummy egg and parmesan mixture so it’s coated all over. Drain off the excess egg and then place it into the hot butter in the skillet.
Let it cook on medium heat for about two minutes on each sides turning it to ensure you get a golden colour so it doesn’t burn. Alternatively, you can add more ingredients that you want and make your french toast more fun.
We have added more ingredients that you may consider adding to your list when making this french toast with cheese. This is the ultimate cheese toasty that you could have on a weekend morning.
- 12 thick-cut slices French or brioche bread
- 1 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp each: smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 6 slices cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, for cooking
- Prepare the custard first in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together the milk, eggs, melted butter and season with spices and salt.
- Slice a day-old loaf of French bread or brioche bread into thick, 1-inch slices. Dunk each slice of bread into the prepared custard, turning several times to ensure the bread is thoroughly soaked.
- Place a slice of cheese between two slices of bread, then set the sandwiches onto a tray until ready to cook.
- Preheat a large griddle or non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Melt the 1 tablespoon butter, then add the French toast.
- Cook the toast over medium-low heat, slowly, so that the cheese gets melted; about 4 minutes per side. Turn using a large spatula.
- Serve the savoury French toast warm with a side of tomatoes, cucumber and avocado.