This is a really special breakfast casserole bite recipe that is loaded with fresh and wholesome ingredients. Start by chopping 6 ounces of bacon into half-inch pieces then sautee them in a large pan over medium-high heat until its browned and crisp. Transfer them onto a plate and leave about two to three tablespoon of oil in the pan then add chopped onions and saute for two minutes until they are softened.
Meanwhile, peel and grate the potatoes then squeeze them dry with your hands and pat then dry with a paper towel to get rid of water in it. Add them to the pan containing the sauteed onions, it is important that the potatoes are dry otherwise they will turn gummy and stick to the pan. Saute them for 5 to 7 minutes until they are brown or nearly cooked through the take them out of the heat.
In a large bowl, whisk two large eggs, half a cup of and half, salt and paper then whisk them until they are combined. Add the slightly cooled potatoes, two cups of coarsely chopped fresh spinach, and a cup of grated cheddar cheese. Grease or line a 12 count muffin baking tray then divide the casserole mixture evenly into the pan then top with the crispy bacon and more cheddar.
Bake them at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 22 to 23 minutes or until they are puffed and lightly browned. Once they are pout of the oven, give them a few minutes to cool down otherwise they are a little too hot to handle. They are so moist and fluffy and completely loaded with spinach and potatoes and bacon and cheese. You can serve it with more sauce, its perfect for breakfast, enjoy.
- 6 oz bacon cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 small onion 1/2 cup finely chopped
- 1 large or 2 small russet potatoes peeled
- 4 oz fresh baby spinach 2 cups, coarsely chopped
- 6 oz mild cheddar cheese (1 1/2 cup shredded), divided
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half and a half or equal parts heavy cream and milk
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat Oven to 375˚F. Oil a 12-count non-stick muffin tin, or preferably line with silicone muffin liners.
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and sauté 6 oz bacon until browned (6-8 min). Transfer to a plate. Discard excess oil keeping 2-3 Tbsp in the pan. In the same pan, sauté the finely chopped onion until softened (2 min).
- Meanwhile, grate potato on the large holes of a box grater. Use your hands to squeeze out as much water as you can from potatoes then pat dry with paper towels.
- Once onions are softened, add grated potato to the skillet with onions. Sauté stirring a few times until potatoes are golden and nearly cooked through (7 mins). Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 8 eggs, 1/2 cup half and a half, and 2 tsp Tabasco sauce. Stir in sautéed potatoes, chopped spinach, and 1 cup cheese.
- Distribute mixture evenly among a 12 count muffin tin. Sprinkle tops with bacon then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375˚F for 22-23 min or until puffed and lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out fairly clean. Cool a few minutes in the pan then serve.