This white cake is moist, has a perfect crumb and is truly the most amazing white cake you will ever make. Start by preheating your oven tp 350 degrees Fahrenheit and butter a 9 inch round cake tin and line the bottom with a parchment paper. Place softened butter on a bowl then add granulated white sugar then cream together with a hand mixer, creaming is an important step in making the most amazing white cake.
Your butter and sugar should be nice and creamy, add two teaspoons of almond extract and mix that in the set it aside. For the wet ingredients, you will need milk in a bowl then add 6 egg whites and whisk together with a fork. You are using egg whites alone so that you can have a white cake, egg yolk will add the color to the cake and will not be a white cake. In a bowl with cake crumb, add in baking powder, a teaspoon of salt then stir to combine.
You will then start adding the wet and dry ingredients to the butter mixture alternating them in the process. Repeat the process until all the ingredients are combined, do not overmix your batter by only mixing it until the ingredients are just incorporated. You can use one pan for this batter or divide it among your baking pans.
When dividing, be even as you can then bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes just until they are slightly golden on top and are cooked through. Once the cakes are done baking, let them cool for five minutes then invert them on a wire rack to cool completely. White cakes are great for fillings and you can use raspberry jam, lemon curd, you can also customize it to your personal preferences.
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 1/2 cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups milk, room temperature
White buttercream frosting;
- 1 ½ cups softened butter
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Grease three 9-inch pans. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to cream the butter and sugar together. Beat in almond extract.
- Use a fork to combine the eggs and milk together in a bowl or 2 cups liquid measuring cup. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl stir together cake flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix in until just combined. Add in half of the milk mixture and combine.
- Add in another 1/3 of the dry ingredients until combined followed by the remainder of the milk mixture.
- Add in the remainder of the dry ingredients and mix with the hand mixer until just combined, using a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom to make sure everything is mixed in.
- Divide the batter among the three prepared pans. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Let sit in pans for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before layering and frosting.\
- Use a hand mixer to whip softened butter and almond extract together. Slowly add in powdered sugar, about 1 cup at a time. Thin out with milk if it gets too thick.