Everyone needs a basic chocolate recipe in their life which requires just a handful of ingredients. This is just a basic chocolate cake and you can make a layer cake, sheet cake or cupcakes from this batter. It’s moist, rich and delicious and you can make a frosting which will go really well with this cake. In a bowl, you will add all the dry ingredients which include sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, baking soda and flour then whisk that together and set it aside.
For the wet ingredients, mix together one cup of hot water with a cup of buttermilk, half a cup of oil, 2 large eggs and a teaspoon of vanilla extract then whisk that together. Pour the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk the ingredients together until the batter is formed.
This will be a thin chocolatey batter, a super easy recipe to bring together with no mixer needed, for the pan, you can use a 9-inch bundt or round cake pan that is 3 inches high, you can also use a 9 by 13-inch pan. Lightly grease the pan then dust with flour and pour the batter in the pan then preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
By the time you are done with preparing the batter, your cake pan should be ready and the oven preheated because this cake has baking soda in it and when you have baking soda in a recipe you want to have to bake it right away after mixing it because the baking soda will start activating immediately and if you wait to bake it the cake won’t rise as much.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 to 35 minutes, you will know the cake is done when you put a toothpick in and it comes out clean. Let the cake completely cool in the pan before removing it.
- 1 3/4 cups (347g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (63g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups (310g) all-purpose
- 1/2 cup (119 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (237ml) hot water
- 1 cup (237ml) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cupcake pans with liners or grease and flour cake pan(s).
- Whisk together sugar, cocoa, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk oil, eggs, water, buttermilk, and vanilla in a large measuring cup or bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. The batter will be thin.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake as directed, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the centre. Cool completely before frosting.