These are super fluffy cupcakes topped with fresh strawberry frosting, one of my favourite. The texture is spongy and soft but also fluffy perfect for strawberry shortcake cupcakes. In a big bowl, add all-purpose flour with baking soda, a little bit of baking powder and a little bit of salt then whisk that around and set aside. In a different bowl, add in butter, some shortening and sugar then whisk that together until is like a dough. Add in slightly beaten eggs and whisk that until everything is all creamy then add in some sour cream.
Fold in with a spatula then add some heavy whipping cream, some almond extract then add some vanilla extract. Go ahead and whisk that in. Next, start adding the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, you should do this a little at a time. Get everything combined until everything is well incorporated and the batter is fluffy. Line your cupcake pan with cupcake liners the st pray with a non-stick spray and go ahead and add the batter into the cupcake liners. Shake the cupcake pan to get the batter nice and even down and then bake them at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 16 to 18 minutes.
When they are out of the oven, they should be beautiful, golden fluffy. Let them sit on the pan for about 5 minutes then go ahead and place them on a cooling rack and let them cool off completely. To make the frosting, add your cream cheese into the bowl then throw in some cool whip and some powdered sugar just to sweeten everything a little but then add some clear vanilla extract, that is optional. Whisk everything in the bowl then get some fresh strawberries and cut them into little itty bitty tiny pieces because you are going to put them in a piping bag.
Very gently, fold the cut strawberries into the cream batter, then put them in a piping bag and pipe them on the muffins. Stick them into the fridge for teh frosting to set and once they have set, top them with the strawberry and enjoy.
- 2½ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
Strawberry cream frosting;
- 8 oz cool whip
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, finely diced
- 24 medium-sized whole strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Spray the liners with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and shortening.
- Mix in sugar until combined.
- Mix in eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Mix in sour cream and heavy whipping cream.
- Gradually mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until completely combined.
- Place about ¼ cup of batter into prepared cupcake pan (or enough until cupcakes are about ¾ full)
- Bake for about 16-18 minutes or until edges are slightly golden. (may need less time, do not over bake)
- Let cupcakes cool in pan for about 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Meanwhile make the frosting by creaming together the cream cheese and cool whip.
- Mix in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, if using.
- Gently fold in the diced strawberries.
- Place frosting into a large piping bag with a large circle tip.
- Frost cupcakes and place in fridge until frosting sets (about 30 minutes)
- Top with whole strawberries.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve.