This coconut cupcake is just perfection, whenever I think of coconut cupcakes, these light and fluffy desserts are what comes to my mind. You will start with a really simple coconut cake base then add the buttercream on top and garnish with some toasted coconut.
Start by adding unsalted softened butter in a stand mixer then add white granulated sugar and cream on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Into the whipped butter and sugar add eggs mixture, vanilla extract and coconut extract then mix them together for another 2 to 3 minutes until you have a creamy mixture. For the dry ingredients, you will have all-purpose flour in a bowl then add baking powder and salt, mix that together then sift into the batter.
Add milk to the batter then use a whisk to mix that in, you don’t want to overmix this batter, just until it is well incorporated. Line your cupcake pan with liners and then use a measuring scoop to drop in the cake batter. Your oven should be preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenght and your cupcakes should bake for about 25 to 26 minutes. You want them to have a nice golden top and when you insert a toothpick in the centre it should come out clean.
If you want some more coconut flavour, you can add some flaked coconut right after you mix that flour and it will add more flavour and texture. Once they are baked, let them cool completely in a wire rack then toast about half a cup of coconut flakes and use them to garnish the cupcakes.
Get your meringue buttercream and transfer it into a pastry bag then pipe a nice generous amount of frosting of=n the cupcakes. Top them with the toasted coconut flakes then dig in and enjoy. You will be in for a real treat with this coconut cupcakes, they are so darn good.
- 1/2 cup (115 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (100 g) white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp each: coconut extract, vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (60 g) flaked coconut; optional
- 1 recipe Italian Meringue Buttercream
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 cup (60 g) toasted coconut, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F/177C and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Into a large mixing bowl, add the softened butter and sugar.
- Whisk on medium to high speed for 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture is fluffy. Add the extracts and eggs and whisk again for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour in the milk but don’t mix it in.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt. Sift the dry ingredients into the cake batter, then use a hand whisk or spatula to mix in the flour.
- Don’t over mix the batter; stir just until the flour is incorporated. If adding coconut flakes, add them into the batter at this time.
- Fill the cupcake liners with cake batter almost to the top, about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 24 to 26 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- As the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the Italian Meringue Buttercream; I have the video recipe linked above.
- Toast the 1/2 cup coconut flakes on the stovetop or in the oven. If using the stove, place the coconut flakes into a fry pan and heat over medium heat, tossing occasionally, until the flakes are toasted.
- If using the oven, spread the flakes on a baking sheet and turn the broiler to ‘high’. Toast for a few minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, transfer the coconut buttercream into a pastry bag tipped with a star tip.
- Pipe generous dollops of frosting on top and garnish with toasted coconut flakes.