Olive oil or any flavourless oil has just replaced butter for this cake and it is going to tastes really nice and the best thing about using oil for your bake is the texture of the cake will remain soft for days even when the cake is refrigerated. Get the all-purpose flour in a bowl and add baking powder which is a really good leavener also, add in salt to the flour mixtures and using your wire whisk mix it all in. Set aside and then prepare your wet ingredients.
Into the stand mixing bowl, add 3 eggs and whip the eggs just until the frothy for about a minute then add granulated sugar and lemon zest. Beat the sugar and the egg on high speed for about 3 minutes to get the beautiful pale ribbons texture which means you will get a lot of air bubbles in there. Once you are done the mixture should double or quadruple in size and then there are a lot of air pockets. Now it is time to add in your olive oil use good quality extra virgin oil. Add the olive oil into the egg mixture and you mix using a whisk attachment. Once all of the oil is in the mixture, mix a little bit longer so that you do not see oil streaks.
Then add in your flour mixture and mix on low speed is as gentle as possible depending on your machine it is necessary to stop every now and then and scrape your bowl with a spatula to make sure everything is well mixed. Then add in the rest of your ingredients which is whole milk and do not use half and a half just use milk. Then add in the rest of your flour and then mix on low speed and then stop when everything is just incorporated too much mixing will toughen the cake.
Get a greased springform cake because of its high size and it means we get a nice crust on top so pour your batter in and then add 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar over the top of the batter. Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven in the middle rack for about 40 to 45 minutes until the toothpick comes out clean or with a few crumbs then get it out of the oven. Place it on the wire rack and do the toothpick test and if it comes out with little crumbs it is baked.
After 15 minutes get the cake out of the spring pan. The cake should be pulling away of the pan then just remove the spring pan and run the knife at the bottom to remove the cake out of the bottom pan and transfer it to a wire rack and let it cool for 90 minutes then slice into it and enjoy. This cake is all about the extra virgin oil flavour in there nothing more, the cake should be tender and delicious, dust it with powdered flour and slice this joy.
- 1 ¾ cups (8 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups (8 3/4 ounces) plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil or any flavourless oil
- ¾ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. then grease a 9-inch springform pan. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip eggs on medium speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Add 1¼ cups sugar and lemon zest, increase speed to high, and whip until the mixture is a fluffy and pale yellow, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium and, with mixer running, slowly pour in the oil. Mix until oil is fully incorporated, about 1 minute. Add half of the flour mixture and mix on low speed until incorporated, about 1 minute, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Add milk and mix until combined, about 30 seconds. Add remaining flour mixture and mix until just incorporated, about 1 minute, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan; sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over the entire surface. Bake until cake is deep golden brown and toothpick inserted in centre comes out with few crumbs attached, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer pan to wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Remove side of the pan and let the cake cool completely about 1 1/2 hours. Cut into wedges and serve.