These brownie butter cupcakes are made with a brownie base and half of the cake is made with buttercream. It is best served fresh from the oven when still warm and can be eaten the way they are or with a cup of tea. To make the brownie batter, you will melt dark chocolate with butter over a bain-marie and once the chocolate and butter are melted, you will add brown sugar and mix until well combined and blended.
Once the chocolate mixture is warm, you will add in one egg, be sure to add the egg once the mixture is warm so that the eggs are not cooked in the hot chocolate. Once the egg is well mixed in you will add a cup of plain flour and fold it in. Your batter should be quite thick and gooey, fill the cupcake pans halfway through then bake them for 5 minutes in a 170 degrees Celcius oven.
To make the cake that will go on top of the brownie, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy and during this process, always scrape down the side of the bowl. Add in two eggs and beat after each addition and once well mixed, sift in the flour and a quarter teaspoon of baking powder with milk, alternating after each addition of the dry mixture. You can do this process by hand using a spatula and the mixture will come together nicely.
Once your butter is well-formed, scoop about a spoonful, depending with the size of your pan and cover the top of the brownies. Set your oven tp 180 degrees Celcius and bake for 15 minutes, to tell if they are cooked, they will spring back once you press the cupcakes at the centre.
- 140 g Dark Chocolate
- 50 g Butter
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Plain Flour
- 120 g Butter
- 100 g or 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 1/2 tbs Milk
- Preheat Oven to 170 degrees Fan Forced and lightly grease a muffin pan
- Melt the Chocolate and Butter over a Bain Marie
- Remove from heat, cool slightly and then add the brown sugar
- Mix to combine
- Add egg and mix straight away ensuring that the heat from the chocolate doesn’t cook then the egg.
- Fold in the flour until combined
- Using a spoon add the brownie mixture into the bottom of all the muffin pans.
- Bake for 5 minutes
- Increase the temperature of the oven to 180 degrees
- In a standard mixing bowl with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition
- Combine the sifted flour and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Alternating between the flour mixture and the milk, add this to the butter mixture. Folding into the mixture- do not overbeat
- Add a tsp of butter batter mixture on top of the brownies
- Bake for 15 minutes