Brookies are a fun and unique dessert that is so named because they are half brownies and half cookies. You can make it in a cookie shaper or a sheet pan. The first thing you need to do is preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then you will start by making the cookie portion of the brookies. Melt a three-quarters cup of unsalted butter then to that add brown sugar and white sugar then stir everything together then you will need one large egg with one egg yolk with a teaspoon of vanilla extract then stir everything together then set that aside.
For the dry ingredients, you will add two cups of all-purpose flour then to that add one teaspoon of cornstarch which will make teh brookies to be nice and soft, salt and baking powder. Stir everything together then start adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and use a spatula to stir them until they are completely combined then stir in one cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Set that aside and start preparing the vanilla batter. In a mixing bowl, add 12 tablespoons of unsalted butter, to that add half a cup of semisweet chocolate chips then place that in a microwave and stir after 20 seconds until they are completely melted.
Once melted, stir in one cup of cocoa powder with one cup of brown sugar and white sugar. Stir them together just until they are mixed then you will add in two large eggs plus one egg yolk together with a teaspoon of vanilla extract then stir everything really well. Add a teaspoon of salt and one cup of all-purpose flour and stir that in until the chocolate mix is combined.
Lightly grease the bottom of your baking pan then pour the chocolate batter in the pan first then the vanilla batter with the chocolate chips on top of the chocolate batter. Top them with a few chocolate chips of broken chocolate pieces then bake in 350 degrees preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Once baked, let it sit on the counter for ten minutes before removing from the pan and digging in.
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter melted and cooled at least 10-15 minutes
- 2/3 cup (135g) tightly packed brown sugar light or dark
- 1/4 cup (50g) white sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk room temperature preferred
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (170g) semisweet chocolate chips or Chocolate broken in pieces
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter cut into Tbsp-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup (90g) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (50g) natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1 cup (200g) light brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk room temperature preferred
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (150g) mini chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and lightly grease and flour sides and bottom of a 13×9 baking dish (or spray with baking spray). Set aside.
- Combine melted, cooled butter and sugars in a large bowl and stir well. Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and stir again to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until completely combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Set aside and prepare your Brownie batter.
- Combine butter pieces and 1/2 cup chocolate chips in a large heat-proof bowl. Transfer to microwave and heat in 20-second intervals, stirring very well in between until chocolate and butter are completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add cocoa powder and stir well then stir in sugars.
- Add eggs, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and salt and stir to combine.
- Add flour and stir until well mixed. If desired, stir in mini chocolate chips.
- In a prepared pan, add the brownie batter and level it then add the cookie dough on top and levels it.
- Transfer to 350F (175C) oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with a few moist crumbs or clean. Take care to not over-bake your brookies or they will be dry and crumbly once cooled.
- Allow to cool and slice and serve.