The mocha muffins are a delicious combination of coffee and chocolate and they are great for on-the-go breakfasts. You can also freeze them and set them out the night before to defrost. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit which is 190 degrees Celcius and line the muffin cups with cupcake liners. For this muffin, you don’t need an electric mixer, you just need two bowls and you can do this by hand.
For the wet ingredienst, in a bowl, have two large eggs and then use a wire whisk to break teh eggs up and then to that add one teaspoon of vanilla extract and half a cup of flavourless oil. Using oil instead of butter gives you areally soft muffins and will be soft for a long time. For the coffee flavour, have a quarter of a cup of just regular coffee and cool to room temperature. If you don’t want coffee, you can just use water instead.
Last, add half a cup of buttermilk and the buttermilk will make teh muffins really nice and tender. You can make the buttermilk at home by taking half a cup of regular milk in add half a cup of lemon juice or vinegar, stir and leave it for ten minutes.
For the dry ingredients, add ine cup of all-purpose flour then add three-quarters of a cup of whole wheat flour, if you don’t have wheat flour, you can just add three quarters more of all-purpose flour.
Add in one cup of brown sugar then sift in cocoa powder then add on a teaspoon of baking soda, half a teaspoon of baking soda and salt then whisk that together. Add in chopped nuts and one cup of chocolate chips, a combination of white and semi-sweet then mix all that together. Add the wet in ingredients to the dry ingredients. Don’t overmix the batter because it will make the batter stiff.
Into your muffins cups, fill them using a spoon then into your oven, bake between 18 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let them cool on a wire rack for ten minutes before serving them.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) safflower, corn, vegetable, or canola oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) black coffee or espresso, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (95 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) regular unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place oven rack in center of oven.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners, or butter or spray with a non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, oil, coffee, and vanilla extract.
- In another large bowl whisk together the flours, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in the chopped nuts and chocolate chips.
- With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combined.
- Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter, using two spoons or an ice cream scoop.
- Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 18 – 23 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5-10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Can be stored at room temperature for a few days or they can be frozen.