This is my favourite spice cake recipe, its super moist, super full of flavour and you can make it anytime. Get your oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then in a large mixing bowl, add flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. For the spices, you will start with ground cinnamon, ground ginger, allspice, ground cloves and ground nutmeg.
Stir everything together then add in vegetable oil and melted unsalted butter then you can use an electric mixer to mix everything just to make the mixing easier, mix until everything is well combined. Add four room-temperature eggs one at a time while mixing after each addition and once done, add in vanilla extract for flavouring then you will add a quarter cup of buttermilk and mix until the batter is smooth.
Pour the batter into a greased baking pan then bake for 35 to 40 minutes. If you are making this cake with frosting, let it cool completely before you cover it with frosting.
- 2 1/2 cups (315 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (300 grams) dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (235 ml) canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (113 grams unsalted butter melted
- 4 large eggs room temperature preferred
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) buttermilk
Cream cheese Frosting;
- 8 oz (225g) cream cheese softened
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups (440g) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and grease and flour a 9×13 baking dish (or spray with baking spray). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugars (granulated and brown), baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices (cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg).
- Add canola oil and melted butter and stir well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract and buttermilk and stir until ingredients are well-combined.
- Pour batter into a prepared baking dish and bake on 350F (175C) for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow cooling completely before topping with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting;
- Combine cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to beat until creamy and well-combined. Stir in salt and vanilla extract.
- Gradually, with mixer on low-speed, stir in powdered sugar until completely combined.
- Spread evenly over cooled spice cake.