This nostalgic recipe is so simple and delicious and goes down a treat with an afternoon cup of tea. Melting moments are essentially a shortbread cookie so they’re crunchy and cooked all the way through. To make these melting cookies, cream together butter and sugar, before adding the dry ingredients. Let the dough rest in the fridge before making small rounds and gently flattening them with a fork. Bake until just turning golden on the edges, which is really important as that golden color enhances the end flavor. The buttercream is just a simple case of mixing everything together and piping it onto your cookies. Sandwich the cookies together and serve. The crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth shortbread cookies paired with the creamy, lemon infused filling are so good.
Begin by preheating the oven at 180 degrees Celsius, begin by beating the butter then add sugar in between the beating process. Continue beating that until it is creamy and well combined, scrape down the side of the bowl and then begin sifting in the flour. Before beating the mixture with an electric beater, use a spatula o mix the flour and the butter mixture and then start beating. Do not over mix this batter, just mix until well combined. Once your batter has been formed, use a cookie scoop to measure your dough then form them into a ball. Using a fork dipped in flour to make an indentation in the middle of the cookie dough.
Continue on that until you are done with all your cookies. The dough is then baled in 180 degrees Celsius oven for about 12 to 14 minutes then let that cool down. For the icing, you need butter, grated lemon rind, lemon juice and sifted icing sugar. Begin by beating the butter and lemon rind together then add the sifted icing sugar. Beat them until they are well combined then with the lemon juice, it depends on how much you want to put in but 3 teaspoon is a really food amount of flavoring for the icing. Once you are done, put that in the piping bag and at this moment your cookies will be already baked. Let them cool in a cooling rack then match the cookies so it fits well together then begin piping the lemon buttercream on one side of the cookie and then sandwich the cream
- 125g (4oz) butter softened
- 1/2 cup (125g/4oz) sugar – caster/superfine
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup (125g/4oz) SR flour
- 1 cup (125g/4oz) plain flour
For lemon buttercream filling;
- 60g (2oz) butter softened
- 1 cup (125g/4oz) icing sugar
- 6 drops Lemon flavor concentrate or 2 tsp lemon
- juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla, then fold in flours.
- Mix to form a soft dough.
- Roll out on baking paper to 5mm thick (1/4″) and cut out shapes with the desired cutter.
- Bake in batches for 10-12 minutes until slightly tan in color. Be careful not to burn edges,
- Allow cooling on a wire rack before filling.
For lemon buttercream filling;
- Beat icing sugar and butter until smooth and fluffy. Add desired lemon flavor.
- Pipe or spread frosting onto a cooled cookie, and sandwich with another.
- Dust with icing sugar if desired.