Robust, rustic, local flavours and rich in taste, that is exactly how the highway chicken curry is all about. Highway Chicken Curry is basically a rustic chicken preparation with whole spices, fiercely hot and spicy, browned thick slow-cooked gravy and soft-melt in the mouth juicy morsels of chicken. Get yourself around 700 grams of chicken then to that add a teaspoon of garlic paste ginger paste and half a cup of yoghurt. What the yoghurt does is it tenderizes the meat, when you use an acidic base, it will toughen the meat.
Add a teaspoon of salt and mix well then keep aside for about half an hour. The longer you keep the marinade the longer it tenderizes the meat. Get your cast iron to overheat and heat about 4 tablespoons of oil then add bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and peppercorns then once they start to release the aroma, add in finely chopped onions. Sautee for about 4 minutes until nice and soft then add finely chopped ginger, garlic and g]fibely chopped green chillies and saute until golden brown. Add chopped tomatoes and cook them until mushy then add water to make them soft then add your dry spices.
Add the marinated chicken and mix that well ten add a teaspoon of garam masala powder and saute it for a minute then add a cup of water and give it a final mix and let it cook for about 20 minutes on medium heat.
- 700 gms Chicken with bones
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 4 medium sized onion chopped vertically
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 3 big Tomato chopped
- Spices Needed
- 3 black cardamom
- 2 Cinnamon (1 inch )
- 2 big Bay leaves
- 2 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 10-12 Black pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tspn turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chilly powder
- 2-3 green chilly slited
- Salt to taste
- First dry roast the black cardamom,Cinnamon,Bay leaves, Coriander seeds,Black pepper and cumin seeds together in a pan in low flame till you smell the fragrance of the spices.
- Turn off the stove,let it cool & in a blender make a fine powder, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a Kadai or pan ,add chopped onion and roast on high flame till onion gets translucent , then add ginger garlic paste,saute for about two minutes.
- Add tomatoes & cook till the tomatoes are soft & mushy.
- Add red chilly powder, Turmeric and salt cook for 3-4 min.
- Now add chicken pieces , the roasted masala powder , chillies & ginger and cook till chicken is cooked in low flame.
- Add 2 cups of water and let it boil for 5 min. Generally the Highway chicken curry is little thin.
- Garnish with chopped coriander .
- Serve your highway chicken with your favorite naan,tandoori roti or rice.