These zucchini chips could not be easier to make, you simply coat the zucchini in a mixture of panko breadcrumbs, parmesan, and lemon zest and then either fry or bake them until they are nice and golden brown and crispy.
First, the most obvious step is to slice zucchini thinly and uniformly. To achieve this, I always use a mandoline.
Secondly, and this is so important, do everything you can to rid the zucchini slices of moisture. You can do two things here; once zucchini slices are arranged on paper towel Top salted zucchini with another layer of paper towels and a sheet-pan weighted with something. Leave for 15 to 20 minutes so that the salt and weight will work together to draw as much of the moisture out as possible.
Bake the zucchini slices in a lower-degree heated oven. It’s a slow bake that ensures crispy zucchini chips without burning. Simply salted zucchini chips make a great snack.
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup basil
- Dredge the zucchini slices in flour, dip them in the egg, and coat them in the mixture of the breadcrumb, parmesan, lemon zest, salt, and pepper.
- Fry the coated zucchini slices in oil until lightly golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side or place them on a wire rack on a baking pan, spray lightly with oil.
- Bake in a preheated 425F/220C oven until lightly golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Puree the mayonnaise and basil and serve with the zucchini chips.