Sticky, spicy honey butter crunchy butter chicken is what makes this spicy honey butter fried chicken extra special. They go well with waffles and you are going to love them.! The first thing you are going to do is make a marinade that is going to help tenderize the chicken. Add yogurt in a large bowl then add in coconut milk, a spoonful of sweet paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and fish sauce. Whisk that all together and then place our chicken pieces in the marinade. Make sure they are all covered then leave them to marinate overnight. Once your chicken has marinated enough, drain them on and pop them into some flour and then just coat each piece with some flour then pat off the excess flour.
Pour some oil over your frying pot and you are going to fry your chicken twice, the first time is just to cook the chicken through, you don’t want to get the chicken extra crispy and golden. Your oil should be about 130 degrees Celcius then start frying your chicken, keep turning and flipping in the oil, do this in batches so you don’t overcrowd your pan. Remove your chicken from the oil and let it rest for about ten minutes. For the second fry, you want to crank the heat up really high to about 180 degrees Celsius. Add in your chicken and let them fry to golden brown color then remove them and place them on a paper towel. You can serve your fried chicken any way you want and it best goes with waffles, they are soft, sweet with the crunchy spicy chicken.
- 1.5kg (3 lb) boneless chicken thigh pieces, halved
- 3 cups plain flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Warm waffles to serve
- Combine the chicken and the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To make the spicy seasoning, toast the sticky rice in a dry frying pan over high heat. Keep the rice grains moving in the pan.
- Cook until the grains are a deep brown color. Transfer the toasted rice to a mortar and use a pestle to grind to a fine powder.
- In a small bowl, mix the rice powder with the remaining ingredients.
- This can be made up 2-3 days in advance. Keep in an airtight container.
- To cook the chicken, heat enough oil in a large frying pan to deep fry the chicken.
- When the temperature is about 130°C/270°F, coat each piece of chicken in flour and then carefully add the chicken to the hot oil.
- Fry, turning often, for about 6 minutes or until the chicken is a pale golden color and is cooked through.
- Drain the chicken on a paper towel for at least 10 minutes. Then reheat the oil to about 180°C/360°F.
- Fry the chicken in batches for 2-3 minutes or until the color is a deep golden brown and the coating is super crispy.
- Drain on paper towel. While the chicken is still hot, sprinkle with the spicy seasoning.