The rich creamy gravy is what makes this Punjabi Chicken curry exotic and appealing. With basic ingredients and Indian spices, this restaurant-style Punjabi Chicken curry can be made easily at home. The secret lies in the spices and the perfect blend of ingredients and the slow cooking over time.
Clean the chicken pieces and drain then marinate with salt and turmeric for half an hour. Heat oil and ghee in a wide pan. When it is hot enough put 1 tsp Sugar to the oil. Let it melt and form a brown layer in the oil. Now add Bay leaf and whole spices: Peppercorns, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves and let it sizzle.
Next, add the Chili Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric and Cumin Powder and sauté well. Chop the tomatoes finely. Mix together curd and ginger garlic paste. Add the chopped tomatoes to the gravy and fry for one minute. Sprinkle the curd mix little by little and fry till the tomatoes are mashed well.
Grind the grated coconut and cashews with little water to make a fine smooth paste. Put this to the gravy and stir fry for another minute. Mix in the marinated chicken and combine well with the gravy. Pour a glass of warm water and mix well to coat the chicken pieces with gravy.
Let it simmer for 2 minutes and then cover and cook the chicken on low flame, turning in between. Adjust the salt and add hot water if you need more gravy. Check if the chicken is cooked properly. Do not overcook the chicken.
Once the chicken is cooked remove from heat and serve with rice or any meal of your choosing.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp ghee refined butter
- 8 Chicken legs skin removed
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 onion minced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger root minced
- 1 small tomato coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 Chile pepper seeded and minced
- 1 cup Water
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Heat the oil and ghee in a large pot over medium heat.
- Cook the cumin seeds in the oil until the seeds begin to change colour.
- Add the onion, cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger, cook until the onions brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato, tomato paste, garam masala, turmeric, serrano pepper, and water and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Lay the chicken into the sauce and coat the legs all over.
- Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until chicken is no longer pink near the bone, about 40 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.