This is by far the best butter sponge cake, it is soft as cotton and has a high proportion of egg to the amount of flour. Heat the butter in a saucepan, over low heat then add milk sugar and a pinch of salt and stir until the sugar dissolves. Turn off the heat, sift in the cake flour, add the egg yolks and mix by hand, until just combined. do not over-mix.
In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy, squeeze a lime or lemon juice and add sugar a little bit at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Add the beaten egg whites into the flour and egg yolk batter then mix until just combined. Pour this combined batter into the rest of the beaten egg whites, it is important that you gently fold this mixture until combined and do not stir or whisk vigorously, just fold the mixture so that the batter can have more air in it to keep the cake extra sift and not fall once baked.
Pour the batter into the greased and lined cake pan tap the cake pan on the countertop a few times and get the air bubbles out of the cake batter. Prepare the water bath by pouring cold water into a large pan. Place the cake pan with the batter into the large roasting pan, the water in the large baking pan should reach 1 inch / 2 ½ cm sides of the cake pan.
Bake in a preheated oven at 150°C for 75- 80 minutes or until cake tests are done or until the cake is firm and set in the centre. Baking time is just a guide, as oven temperatures and cake tin sizes vary. If you find that the cake is browning too quickly before it has been baked, then just cover it loosely with foil.
Do not let the foil touch the batter. Once baked, remove from the oven and water bath. Leave the cake in the pan to cool for about 10 minutes before turning out. Cool completely and dust with powdered sugar or frost with a frosting of your choice.
- 4 large egg yolk (66g)
- 3tbsp sugar (40g)
- pinch of salt
- 3tbsp milk (46g)
- 3tbsp oil (40g)
- 2tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup +3tbsp cake flour(80g)
- 4 large egg white (130g)
- 1/4 cup sugar(50g)
- 1tsp lemon juice or vinegar
- In a bowl, mix egg yolks, sugar, salt, canola oil, vanilla, and milk. Sift cake flour 3 times and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy then add lemon juice and sugar a little bit at a time. whisk until it thickens to the stiff peak stage.
- Gently fold in the whites and yolk mixture until incorporated. Be careful not over mix, otherwise, the foam will deflate and the cake won’t rise.
- Pour the mixture into a 7-inch round baking pan. Bang the pan 2-3 times to remove any big air bubbles.
- Use a large baking tray, pour in hot water then place the cake pan in for a hot water bath.
- Place the tray on the bottom rack of the oven with top and bottom heat on and Bake at 150°C for 75- 80 minutes or until cake tests are done. bang the pan on the floor a few times to prevent the cake from shrinking.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool down. Leftover cake can be covered and kept in the freezer.