When it comes to desserts, it doesn’t get any better than a simple sponge cake. Start by lining the parchment paper in the cake tin, set it aside and preheat the oven to 330 degrees Fahrenheit/ 165C. Sift cake flour and starch together then set that aside. In a mixing bowl, add milk and butter then place it over a pot of hot water and let the butter melt. Separate one egg white from the yolks then start whipping the egg whites at high speed until it starts to form.
Add 80 grams of sugar in three additions to the egg whites mixture while whipping on medium speed after each addition. Continue whipping until the meringue reaches a stiff peak. Add one egg yolk and vanilla extract then mix briefly for about 10 seconds. Stop mixing when the mixture turns yellow then add half of the sifted flour and switch to a spatula and fold the mixture in a constant motion.
Rotate the bowl in small increments with the other hand while folding with the other. Add the other half flour and continue to fold until the flour is moistened and there are no lumps. Check the temperature of the milk butter mixture, it should be around 50C, if you don’t have a thermometer, it’s a temperature that feels a bit hot with your fingers in it.
Add some cake batter to the butter mixture and mix well then pour it into the bigger bowl with the cake batter. Fold the mixture until smooth and everything is incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and tap it a few times on the counter to remove any trapped air.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Once baked, invert the cake on a wire rack and let it cool upside down then remove the parchment paper from it. This cake is dense and fluffy, it’s great to use as a cake sheet.
- Egg white from one egg
- 80g/ 2 ½ oz (⅓ cup)of sugar
- Egg yolk from one egg
- 75g/ 2.6Oz (½ cup) of flour
- 10g of corn starch,
- 30ml of milk,
- 20g/ 0.7Oz(1/8 cup) butter
- 2g vanilla extract
- Line the paper on the mould in advance and sieve the flour and corn starch together.
- Divide sugar into 3 in the egg whites and make soft pick meringue.
- Add the yolk and mix lightly until well blended.
- Divide the sifted flour into two and fold it lightly with a spatula.
- Add a scoop of batter to the milk and butter heated at 40 to 60 degrees C and mix thoroughly.
- Put back into the batter and spread it evenly with a spatula to prevent it from sinking to the floor.
- Mix the ball in a J shape to rotate it evenly. Since butter + milk enters the batter, bubbles are quickly turned off, so work as quickly as possible. When the batter is evenly mixed, put it right into the mould.
- After adding butter + milk, please fold for about 2 minutes. Folding too much reduces the volume of the cake.
- Pan in a round mould, evenly arrange the top with a spatula, and then gently drop it on the floor to remove unnecessary bubbles.
- Bake at 165 degrees C (325℉) for 30 minutes.
- Drop the baked sponge cake in a mould and drain the steam out, turn it over and cool it on the cooling net.