This cake is made with a layer of butter cake topped with a layer of chocolate brownie, it is easy to make and a go-to any day with a cup of tea. This recipe is best made in mini loaf tins but if you don’t have them you can use the normal loaf tin that is buttered and layered with parchment paper. Start by melting butter and chocolate, you can do this in the microwave or in a double boiler.
Once your chocolate is melted, let it cool down a little bit then add brown sugar into the chocolate mixture and mix that in until well combined and melted then add in eggs and mix that in. Add in all-purpose flour and use a spatula to combine everything until there are no lumps and all the flour is moistened into the batter. Set the chocolate mixture aside.
For the butter cake, put the sugar in butter into a bowl and cream them together, you should use softened butter to make this process easy. Once the sugar and butter are creamed together, add in the beaten eggs and mix it slowly until it is combined. Add in the flour and fold that in with a spatula, conine until all the flour is moistened into the batter.
When using the mini tine, you will fill the butter first to about a half then the chocolate batter in to almost full until all your batter is finished. When using a normal-sized cake tin, you will pour the egg batter first into the pan to about halfway through then the chocolate batter on top to just about three-quarters way full then level the batter and bake in the oven.
The cake will be baked at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 35 minutes and use a skewer to test if your cake is ready before removing it from the oven, if your cake is not cooked through, give it more time about 3 to 5 more minutes in the oven. This cake tests very well with two different textures the fudgy brownie chocolate and the butter cake.
- 180g/6 1/4oz) dark chocolate, chopped into pieces
- 65g(4tbsp_2tsp) unsalted butter
- 65g(5 tbsp) light brown sugar
- 65g(2 1/4 oz) beaten egg
- 45g(5 level tbsp)plain flour
For the butter cake layer:
- 156g unsalted butter softened
- 156g plain flour
- 125g(5/8 cup) caster sugar(or granulated)
- 130g(4 1/2 oz) beaten egg
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin and line with parchment paper or aluminium foil.
- Melt the chocolate with the 65g butter and let cool for a few minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and mix until fully combined.
- Add the 65g eggs and mix until fully combined.
- Add the 45g plain flour and mix until fully combined.
- Pour into the loaf tin and shake slightly to level off.
- Bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes, until the mixture, is just about set.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 160C/140C Fan/320F
- Place the butter and sugar into a large bowl and beat with a mixer, or by hand, until pale and frothy.
- Add the eggs and beat until fully combined and slightly thickened
- Add the flour and fold in with a spatula until fully combined. Set aside until the brownie layer is baked.
- When the brownie layer is cooled for two or three minutes spoon the cake batter on top and spread all over, levelling on the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then carefully remove from the tin and cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.