This Basque burnt cheesecake is super soft and sweet. The cheesecake looks burnt but the taste is amazing and this will be your new favorite family cheesecake. You will need a 6-inch round cake tin that is lightly greased then line both the bottom and sides of the cheesecake with a parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, add 340 grams of softened cream cheese then lightly smash it with a spatula just to make it light. You can also use an electric mixer to stir at low speed just until it is very smooth. Once smooth, add white sugar and continue to stir evenly until the sugar is incorporated in the cream cheese and the cream cheese is much lighter.
Add 3 room temperature eggs one at a time and whisk the added eggs really well after each addition until it is combined before you add the next egg. After adding and whisking the 3 eggs really well the mixture should be very light. Add vanilla extract for flavoring or any extract of your choice then lightly whisk it in then add 150 grams of whipping cream and stir it really well. Sift in cornstarch and whisk it in until you have a smooth batter.
You can substitute the cornstarch with cake flour. Pour the cheesecake batter in the prepared mold pan then tap the pan a few times on the counter just to remove any trapped air bubbles then bake the cake in a preheated 415 degrees Fahrenheit oven (210C) for 30 minutes in the middle of the oven. The freshly baked cheesecake will still be light that it jiggles. Let it cool down then put the cake in the refrigerator for about 4 hours before slicing.
This cake tastes better the longer it stays. The important components of a Basque cake are cream cheese, eggs and cream. Cream cheese and eggs will give support to the cake body and the cream also helps make this cake smoother.
- 340g (12Oz) Cream cheese
- 80g (2.8Oz) Sugar
- 3pcs Egg (room temperature)
- 3ml Vanilla extra
- 1g Salt
- 150g (5.3Oz) Whipping cream
- 10g (0.4Oz) Corn starch or Cake flour
- Cream cheese needs to be soft and smooth at room temperature, or it can be heated in a microwave oven to soften it
- Eggs must be at room temperature, otherwise, oil and water separation are easy to occur.
- If you want the cheese to have a strong flavor, add more cheese, and if you want more softness, add more cream.
- The baking temperature can be adjusted according to the oven at home. Bake in a preheated 210°C (415℉) for 30 minutes. It is generally recommended not to exceed 30 minutes.