This sweetened condensed milk pound cake is moist, dense and lightly sweet. It’s perfect served for breakfast and it’s also wonderful served for dessert with fruits. It is similar to a pound cake but has a lot more to offer. It is light and moist making every bite better than the last with a fabulous taste.
Start by lining a 6″ round cake mould with parchment paper at the base then mix egg yolks with beaten egg and set aside. Heat butter until tiny bubbles start to appear at the bottom of the melted butter. Pour the flour into the hot melted butter and fold to mix with a spatula then add in the condensed milk to combine.
Beat egg white till frothy, for about 30 seconds. Add in the sugar, in 3 batches. Beat at a medium-high speed at the start and reduce to a low speed towards the end of the process. Beat the meringue till almost reaches the stiff peak stage. The standing meringue has a slight dip at the tip. Scoop about 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter then fold to mix. Pour the yolk batter back into the remaining meringue and fold to mix into a smooth batter. Pour the batter into the 6″ round cake mould.
Lightly bang the cake mould a few times to remove any trapped air bubbles in the batter. Place the cake pan in a tray of 1cm-deep hot water. Steam-bake the batter in a preheated oven set at 170 degrees Celsius with only the upper heating coil for 40 minutes at the lower rack of the oven.
Once baked, remove the cake with a pan from the oven and drop the pan with the cake from a height of about 5 cm about three times. This is to prevent the cake from shrinking during the cooling period. Then let them cool down on a cooling rack for about 15 ~20 minutes, or till the cake slightly shrinks away from the mould’s wall. While the cake is still warm, run a silicon spatula along the edge of the cake.
Remove the cake from the pan and cool down on a wire rack. This is to prevent the accumulation of moisture at the base of the cake. The cake tastes nicer after keeping in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- 10 ounce 284grams unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup 150grams granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups 250grams all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder.
- 1 14 ounces can sweeten condensed milk or 396 grams
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg optional
- 2-3 tablespoons lime zest
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F. Grease a 10-inch or Bundt pan generously with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar at high speed in a stand mixer until it’s fluffy and starting to look white about 3 minutes.
- Add the condensed milk and mix for another minute.
- Stir in the eggs, a little at a time, beating the mixture well between each addition.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder into the batter, and then add the grated lime zest& juice, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.
- Stir well until everything is fully combined. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Pour batter into a greased cake pan. Tap the pan on a work surface to eliminate any air
- Bake at 325 degrees F until the tester inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 45–50 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
- Sprinkle cake with powdered sugar and serve with whipped cream and strawberries.