This is a simple classic yellow cake that is easy to bake, coat the whole cake with chcolate ganache. In a mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour together with baking powder baking soda and salt then lightly whisk that around so the other ingredients are well dispersed in the flour. Set that aside.
In another bowl, prepare the wet ingredients, add in the sugar and softened butter then mix that around until it all creamy and well combined then you will add in the eggs. Add two eggs and two egg yolks which will bring out the yellowness in this cake. Add them one at a time and whip them in really well before dropping another one and continue beating until you have a nice beautiful yellow colour. Add in some vanilla extract and mix it in.
Add the dry ingredients in the egg mixture alternating it with buttermilk. Mix everything until you have a smooth cake batter. For baking, lightly grease and flour your baking pan then pour in the batter. This batter is a lot and if you don’t have a big round baking pan, you can use two 9 inches round baking pans.
Bake in a 325 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Once baked, let the cake cool down for about 10 minutes then remove it from the pan and set it aside to cool completely. Serve this cake with a chocolate frosting, make sure you put a thick layer in between the layers of the cake and spread more frosting on top and serve. This cake is as good as it’s going to get. This cake is so fluffy and moist and will taste better the next day
- 2 cup (240 grams/ 8.5Oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup (300/10.6 Oz) grams granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks, softened(227 grams/ 8Oz)
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 yolks room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavouring optional
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325 F then lines the bottom of two, round 9-inch cake pans with a parchment paper circle, if you have a big round cake pan, you can use it. Grease and lightly flour the pans. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, sift together flour baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together sugar and butter then mix in eggs and yolks, one at a time, mixing after each egg.
- Mix in vanilla extract and butter flavouring.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Mix until batter is fluffy, being sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl. (batter will be thick)
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans and use an offset spatula to spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden around the edges and moist crumbs cling to a toothpick inserted into the centre.
- Place on a cooling rack until pans are warm enough to touch and then carefully remove the cake from pans and allow to cool completely.
- Frost with chocolate frosting then serve.