This cake has a beautiful golden-brown crust and a nice soft interior. Preheat your oven the butter or flour your pan. When making the batter you can use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or the hand mixer as well, add the butter and cream cheese in the stand mixer bowl together with sugar then turn the mixer on and cream them together until light and fluffy and very well combined.
Turn the mixer on low and add 6 eggs one at a time scraping down teh bowl whenever necessary, add one tablespoon of vanilla extract for flavour and mix it on low. Because this is a vanilla cake, you will need vanilla bean, scrape the seeds out and add to the batter and make sure it is well mixed before adding the dry ingredients. With the mixer on low speed, you will add a combination of flour and a teaspoon of salty slowly and you can finish off by hand using a spatula.
For the pan, you will need a regular loaf pans, divide the batter evenly among the two pans then smooth the top and bake in the 325 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for about an hour. Test the doneness of the cake by inserting a toothpick at the centre, if it comes out clean, the cake is done. Let the cakes cool in the pan for 30 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack. This cake has a rich texture, really fine with lots of vanilla.
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks/ 340 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces (225 grams) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups (500 grams) granulated sugar
- 6 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
- 3 cups (345 grams) sifted cake flour (measured after sifting)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch metal loaf pans with the baking spray and sprinkle the insides of the pans with the demerara sugar, tilting the pans to cover evenly.
- Place the butter, cream cheese, and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, until light and creamy. Scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula to be sure it’s well mixed.
- With the mixer on low, add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well and scraping down the bowl before adding the next egg. Mix in the vanilla extract and vanilla seeds.
- Combine the cake flour and salt in a medium bowl. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, scraping down the bowl and beater with a rubber spatula.
- Mix the batter with the spatula to be sure it’s well mixed. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans, smooth the tops, and bake in the centre of the oven for 60 to 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre of each cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then carefully turn them out and cool completely on a baking rack.