This is the recipe for a basic muffin, it is so easy, so good and makes a great base for any combination of muffins you could ever imagine. Add the softened butter in a bowl then add in sugar then blend that until nice and fluffy then add two whole eggs one at a time while mixing after each addition.
In a separate bowl, add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt then whisk that together, on the side, you will need buttermilk and that is what adds a little flavour to the muffins. Add vanilla essence to the milk then you will add the wet and the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating in thirds while mixing on low speed. Once it’s all incorporated, stop and at this point, you can come up with any combination that you want.
You can add any type of fruit, nuts or extra flavour to teh muffins. Once you have added what you want to the butter, fill the muffin cups to three-quarters full then bake in a preheated 400 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 17 to 20 minutes. Once they are baked, you can add glaze or top with powdered sugar and serve.
- 4 ounces (113 g) unsalted butter (1/2 cup) softened
- 5 ounces (142 g) granulated sugar (3/4 cup)
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10 ounces (284 g) cake flour (2 cups)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 ounces (227 g) of buttermilk (1 cup) at room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons sanding sugar (optional for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF – Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Sift together your flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together your butter and sugar in a medium bowl with your mixer until light and fluffy
- Add in your egg and vanilla. Continue creaming until pale in colour
- While mixing on low, add in 1/3 of your flour mixture, then 1/3 of your buttermilk. Repeat two more times until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in your desired mix-ins such as fruit, nuts or spices.
- Fill your liners all the way to the top with muffin batter. Top with more mix-ins if desired and sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges begin to slightly brown and a wooden skewer comes out cleanly when inserted into the centre of the muffin.
- Let your muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes then move them to a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.