Chocolate banana swiss roll cake is the best of all taste combinations, this cake is baked in a large sheet pan and covered with a layer of chocolate frosting. A whole banana is laid in the center of the cake and everything is rolled together. This time we use cocoa powder for the dough. As with any other banana dessert, the taste of the fruit is best brought forward with a super ripened banana. You can buy your bananas a few days in advance and let them ripen until they are ready to match this cake and start your baking process. Served with a bit of honey or cinnamon butter it’s really wonderful and finally, baked in a jelly roll pan and rolled around a sweetened cream cheese filling, the humble banana bread is transformed into an amazing dessert.
Start by creaming together sugar, cocoa powder, room temperature butter, and eggs. A standard kitchen whisk is fine for this purpose. Stir in salt, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. You can mash one overripe banana in a separate bowl to get that banana flavor in the cake. Banana bread is an excellent use for those bananas that are too soft to eat but not quite to the point of discarding them. Add the well-mashed banana to the rest of the mixture. Add cake flour, stirring well after each addition. Line a jelly roll or rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, trimmed carefully to fit. Using a clean paper towel, oil the parchment paper with a teaspoon of vegetable oil. Without the parchment paper, there is a risk that the banana bread will stick to the pan and will not release properly. Without a proper release, you won’t have banana bread cake roll, just very thin banana bread.
You could simply frost the sheet cake with cream cheese frosting and call it a day, but it won’t look nearly as fancy. Pour the batter into the jelly roll pan and spread evenly. Bake in a preheated 180-degree oven for around 15 minutes or until browned on the top and the cake springs back when tested. Lay a clean kitchen towel on your counter and dust with confectioner’s sugar. Immediately invert the sheet pan over the kitchen towel to release the cake. Peel off the parchment paper and working from the short side, gently roll up in the kitchen towel. Allow cooling completely on a wire rack. Carefully unroll cooled cake and frost with cream cheese frosting all the way to the edges.
Place your banana in the center of the cake and carefully re-roll cake around the filling and refrigerate at least 1 hour before slicing with a serrated knife and serving. Dust with additional powdered sugar before slicing. Store uneaten cake roll in the refrigerator, wrapped in plastic wrap. Next time you’re looking for an update on a classic, try this chocolate banana swiss roll cake. It’s the classic roll cake “gussied up” with banana and cream cheese filling and a beautiful presentation. It’s worth the bit of extra effort.
- 25g unsalted butter, melted
- 45g cake flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 80g egg yolks
- 25g castor sugar
- 20g cocoa powder sifted
- 10g cold water
- 120g egg whites
- 60g castor sugar
- 10g corn flour
Chocolate Whipped Cream;
- 160g whipping cream
- 90g chocolate, chopped
- 4 tbsp milk
- Whisk egg yolks with castor sugar over a double boiler until it becomes a pale and thick mixture.
- Add sifted cocoa powder and cold water and whisk till well incorporated.
- Beat egg whites in an electric stand mixer till foamy, slowly add the castor sugar and cornflour and beat till stiff peak form.
- Fold 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk and cocoa mixture until there are no more traces of egg whites left, then fold in another 1/3, followed by the last 1/3 of the meringue
- Fold in the sifted cake flour, followed by the melted butter.
- Pour the batter into a line sheet pan and level.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 13 minutes. Cool on the wire rack until ready to use.
Chocolate Whipped Cream;
- Whip the cream until soft peak form.
- Melt the chocolate and milk over a double boiler and mix till smooth.
- Fold the melted chocolate mixture into the whipped cream and chill till ready to use.
- To assemble the cake; Spread a layer of whipped cream onto the sponge. Line the bananas on top of the whipped cream and roll.
- Chill in the refrigerator till ready to serve.