This chocolate Texas sheet cake is a chocolate lovers dream, you are really going to love it. Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then place a medium-sized saucepan over a stovetop and add butter together with water and cocoa powder. Turn the heat to low and stir everything together until the butter is melted, once the butter is melted, turn the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a boil then take it off the heat and let it cool down for about 15 minutes.
In another bowl, add all-purpose flour, white sugar and brown sugar, baking soda, salt and instant coffee. Stir everything together until nicely combined. You will need another big bowl which you will be combining everything in, whisk half a cup of sour cream together with eggs and vanilla extract, whisk until nicely combined.
Add the flour mixture to the sour cream mixture in batches and mix it in until everything is well combined. Bring the cooled chocolate mixture and add it in the batter, fold everything in until everything is nicely combined with no lumps. You will need a 10 by 15-inch jelly roll pan that is greased and lightly floured. Pour the batter in the pan then bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes.
Every Texas sheet cake needs a good chocolate frosting, prepare the frosting and let the sheet cake cool down completely before adding the frosting.
- 1 cup (225 grams) unsalted butter cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup of water
- 1/3 cup (33g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (125g) sour cream
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups (300g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (100g) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee optional
- 6 Tablespoons whole milk
- ½ cup (113 grams) salted butter cut into pieces
- 6 Tablespoons natural cocoa powder
- 4 cups (448 grams) powdered sugar sifting is recommended (after measuring)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and thoroughly grease and flour a 10×15 jelly roll pan (or spray with baking spray).
- Combine butter, water, and cocoa powder in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the butter is melted. Increase heat to medium and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- While butter/cocoa mixture is cooling, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and instant coffee in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together sour cream and eggs and vanilla. Stir this into your dry ingredients until combined.
- Once the chocolate mixture has cooled for at least 15 minutes, stir into your flour/sour cream mixture until mixture is smooth and completely combined.
- Spread batter into prepared jelly roll pan and bake on 350F (175C) for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Once the cake has finished baking (or several minutes before), begin preparing to frost.
- Combine milk and butter in a medium-sized saucepan and cook over medium/low heat until butter is melted. Once the butter has melted, remove from heat and whisk in cocoa powder until combined. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
- Pour over cake while the cake is still warm. If using pecans, sprinkle over frosting now.
- Allow frosting to harden (about one hour) and then slice and serve.