This is a fluffy melt-in-your-mouth yellow cake that you can frost with anything you like from chocolate frosting to vanilla butter frosting. This cake is so easy to make and beyond delicious, anytime you want a quick cake recipe, be sure to look for this. You will start with buttering and then flouring three 6-inch round cake tins, you can also use a baking spray. In a large bowl, sift in all-purpose flour, cornstarch and baking powder then whisk it up and set it aside.
The secret to a yellow cake is the butter and the egg yolks so you can always use butter that is very yellow. In a bowl, of a stand mixer, cream about half a cup of butter and as the butter is mixed, add granulated white sugar and cream it up until light and fluffy then you will add a tablespoon of vanilla extract.
You will then need three eggs and two yolks then add them one at a time while mixing on medium speed until you get a nice yellow butter and egg mixture. To ensure the cake has a soft crumb and remains soft even for two days, you will add a quarter cup of vegetable oil and just whip it in. On the side, you will need one cup of buttermilk and the sifted dry ingredients, you will add the dry mixture and the buttermilk to the wet ingredients in three additions while mixing on low speed.
Mix everything just until nicely combined the finish off with a spatula so you do not overmix the batter. Distribute the cake batter into the pans then bake in a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for about 30 minutes or until the centres are springy and set. If you see the edge of the cake pulling away from the pan, it is ready.
Invert the cakes onto a wire rack and let them cool before frosting them with your favourite frosting. For the chocolate frosting, you can find the recipe here. Frost the cakes layer by layer then the outside of the cake and serve them. Enjoy.
- 2 ¼ cups (270g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (35g) cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup (250g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup (60mL) vegetable oil
- 3 eggs at room temperature, Large
- 2 yolks
- 1 tbsp (15mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240mL) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour three 6-inch round pans. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cornstarch, and salt then set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer using a paddle attachment, or a large bowl if using an electric hand mixer.
- Add the oil and vanilla, mix to combine then scrape the bowl down. Add the eggs one at a time mixing until incorporated before adding the next. Scrape the bowl down once more and mix again.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter in alternating batches while mixing on low.
- Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes or until the centres are set and springy.
- Allow to layers cool in pans for a few minutes then invert into a wire rack to cool completely.