This is a super moist cake made with both banana and chocolate flavours. A dessert that you can serve anytime you have a chcolate cake craving. You will need a 9 inch or mini cake moulds that are buttered then lightly dusted with flour. A chcolate banana bread is a standard quick bread that you have the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another then you mix to combine.
In one bowl, add all-purpose flour and to that sift the unsweetened cocoa powder and granulated white sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk all that together to combine. In the second bowl add two large eggs and lightly beat them then to that add a teaspoon of vanilla extract and mix it in then add melted room temperature butter and combine that in.
The last ingredients are three large ripe bananas that have been mashed, add to the wet ingredients and stir it all together. Add the wet to the dry and fold it in then add white or dark chocolate chips and continue to fold the mixture in until everything is moistened and combined. Pour the batter into the prepared cake moulds or tin and smooth the top then bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Once baked, let the cake cool down for a few minutes before inverting the cake onto a wire rack to cool completely. The texture of this cake is moist and it’s sweet with the flavour of banana which is offset by the chcolate flavour. Once cool, you can cover and store this cake for a few days at room temparature of frozen for up to two weeks. Enjoy.
- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch-processed or regular)
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) salt
- 1 cup (170 grams) white, dark, or milk chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (375 grams) of mashed bananas (you will need 3 large ripe bananas) (approximately 1 pound or 450 grams)
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place your oven rack in the centre of the oven. Butter, or spray with a non-stick vegetable spray, a 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Place the nuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes or until lightly brown and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the eggs. Then add the mashed bananas, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, lightly fold the wet ingredients (banana mixture) into the dry ingredients until just combined and the batter is thick and chunky.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, smoothing with the back of a spoon or offset spatula. Bake until the bread has risen and a wooden toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 55 to 65 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes and then remove the bread from the pan. Can be covered and stored for a few days, or frozen for a couple of months.