This simple vanilla dounut cake is simple to make and so spongy because you are going to use oil instead of butter. You will need an 8 inch round tube pan for this donut cake. Alternatively, you can use an 8 inch round cake pan and the cake will still come out perfect then preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large mixing bowl, add one cup of all-purpose flour together with one tsp of baking powder and give that a mix to incorporate the baking powder in the flour.
In another bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, add two eggs and beat the eggs until they are smooth and pale yellow then add one teaspoon of vanilla extract and half a cup of oil and continue to beat until the oil is incorporated in the egg mixture then add one cup of powdered sugar slowly while beating the mixture on medium speed for another minute. Add one tablespoon of milk to help loosen the batter and mix that in then sift in the dry ingredients into the egg mixture in three batches and combine the mixture until you get a smooth batter.
One thing you have to remember is when beating the eggs, do so on high speed but when combining the flour to make the cake batter, combine everything in the lowest speed and do not overbeat the batter. You want to mix everything just until the flour is moistened and there are no lumps. Finish off by mixing with a spatula, scraping the sides and then inside of the bowl making sure the flour that is in those areas are combined in the batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared tube pan and bake in the 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 40 minutes. Once baked, let the cake sit on a wire rack for 15 minutes to cool down before demoulding it from the tube pan. Your cake should come out very spongy, one thing about cakes made with oil is that they will remain soft for long and will not become too firm when refrigerated. Dust it with powdered sugar then serve.
- 1 cup (125 grams) All-Purpose flour
- 1 cup (200 grams) Sugar
- ½ cup (118 ml) Vegetable oil (Preferably olive oil)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp. Vanilla extract or essence
- Preheat your oven to 180°.
- Grease and dust an 8” round tin with oil and refined flour respectively.
- Put sugar in a mixer and grind to a smooth powder.
- Beat eggs well till fluffy. ( You can use a hand whisk or a normal mixer)
- Now add oil and vanilla extract and beat for a few seconds more.
- In a bowl mix refined flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Now fold this dry mixture with the wet one, but do not over mix. Over mixing can result in cake not rising and less spongy.
- Now pour this mixture in the round greased dish and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. You have to keep checking your cake in between as all ovens have a different heating system and so can take more or less time for baking.
- Once you find it baked take it out of the oven and check with a toothpick. If a toothpick comes out clean it means the cake is ready.
- Keep the cake out of the oven on a wire rack till it’s cool before serving.