You will love this cake recipe. It’s easy and you can make hundreds of different cakes with this base. Once you have this recipe down you will be baking things that look and taste like they are from a fancy bakery.
- 6 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar 210 grams
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 130 grams
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line bottoms of two 9″ cake pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat 6 large eggs for 1 minute on high speed.
- With the mixer on, gradually add 1 cup sugar and continue beating 8-10 minutes until thick and fluffy.
- Whisk together 1 cup flour and 1/2 tsp baking powder then sift this mixture into fluffy egg mixture one third at a time.
- Fold with a spatula with each addition just until incorporated. Scrape spatula from the bottom to catch any pockets of flour and stop mixing when no streaks of flour remain. Do not over-mix or you will deflate the batter.
- Divide evenly between prepared cake pans. Bake at 350˚F for 23-28 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Remove from pan by sliding a thin spatula around the edges then transfer to a wire rack and remove parchment backing. Cool cakes to room temperature then slice layers equally in half with a serrated knife.