This spicy fried rice is made using homemade chili paste, this recipe could be served as a side dish, or also as a great main course. Always use day-old rice for fried rice, the grains should be fluffy and separated. Geat vegetable oil in a large wok or large pan and add prepared fried shrimps and fry until the shrimps are fragrant and crispy, this should take about two to three minutes.
Remove the fried shrimps from the pan and set aside, leave the oil in the pan then add garlic and fry until fragrant then stir in chili paste, cook for about a minute then add carrots and green beans then continue to fry for two to three minutes. Add the day oil rice and soy sauce then stir to get everything mixed then using a spatula, create a well at the center of the pan and crack two eggs into the well and fold the rice into the eggs.
Continue to stir until the eggs are cooked and the rice is dry and fluffy. This will take about four to five minutes the return the fried shrimps to the pan and stir to mix it in then turn off the heat. Serve this fragrant and spicy fried rice for lunch and enjoy. For the chili paste, break dried chilies in half and squeeze out the seeds.
Soak in hot water for 30 minutes to soften. Blend the dried chilies, red chilies, and shallots with ¼ cup (60ml) water until smooth. Heat vegetable oil in a medium-size saucepan over low heat. Add blended chili paste, salt, and sugar. Stir continuously until chili paste darkens and oil separates. This will take about 12 to 15 minutes and your homemade chili paste is ready.
- ⅓ cup dried shrimps (40g)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp fried chili paste
- 1 small carrot (finely diced)
- 4 oz green beans (cut into 1-inch lengths at a diagonal) (113g)
- 4 cups day-old rice (600g)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 large eggs
- Rinse dried shrimps. Soak in warm water for 10 minutes. Then drain and give it a coarse chop.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large wok or fry pan. Add prepared dried shrimps. Fry until fragrant and crispy. This should take about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove fried shrimps, leaving the oil in the pan. Set aside.
- Add garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Stir in fried chili paste. Add carrots and green beans. Continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then add cooked rice and soy sauce. Stir to get everything well mixed.
- Using the spatula, create a well in the center of the pan. Crack the eggs into the well and fold the rice back onto the eggs. Continue to stir until the eggs are cooked and rice is dry and fluffy. This will take 4 to 5 minutes.
- Return fried dried shrimps to the pan. Stir to mix it in. Turn off the stove.
- Dish into individual serving plates and serve immediately.