Some recipes can be daunting when cooking them for the first time but if you are cooking this one-pot lemon and thyme chicken for the first time, then we got you. The ingredients you are using in this chicken on the bone and then squash onion garlic lemon and capers. You will also need some more green veg courgette pepper, spinach, and stock. The best part of the chicken to use when making this one-pot chicken recipe is the chicken legs because it’s got the bone and when cooked, it gives a nice bit of flavor. If you don’t want the whole legs, you can use the drumsticks. Season your chicken with salt and pepper and then fry in a large pan, sin down for about five minutes until it starts to go crispy.
While the chicken is frying, chop up your butternut squash because chicken alone takes a little longer to cook. Turn over your chicken once you’ve to the skin crispy, nex6 goes in the squash and let it cook for ten minutes. Chop up your onion, garlic, capers, and zest a lemon, add the onions and garlic in the pan and give that a mix then put that in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for ten minutes. Chop your peppers and courgette and the layering process continues as the courgette, pepper and chicken stock and spinach go in the pan. Mix everything in the pan and then back in the oven for ten minutes and it will reduce down and be absolutely delicious.
The great thing about one pot lemon and thyme chicken is you can go to the table just as it is. Squeeze a lemon juice over the chicken then adds some fresh parsley. If you were looking to cook chicken on the bone for the very first time then you can’t go wrong with this one-pot lemon and thyme chicken.
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 small squash, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 1 courgette, trimmed and cut
- 1 green pepper, seeded
- handful spinach
- 250ml chicken stock
- bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180ºC. Season the chicken thighs.
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan over medium-high heat for 1 min, then add the chicken, skin-side down.
- Cook for 5 mins until golden brown, then turn.
- Add the squash and cook for another 10 mins, stirring frequently, until the squash is golden brown.
- Add the onion and garlic, along with the capers, lemon zest, and thyme leaves.
- Put the pan in the oven for 10 mins to bake, then remove and add the courgette, pepper, spinach, couscous, lemon juice, and the chicken stock.
- Return the pan to the oven for 10 mins, or until the couscous has absorbed most of the liquid and the chicken is cooked through with no pink meat remaining.
- Remove the pan from the oven and scatter over the parsley and pine nuts, if using.
- Drizzle over a little extra olive oil to serve.