Smoked ribs take about 7 hours to make, traditional grilling is about 2 hours but this recipe is done in 45 minutes. So quick and tender and juicy and flavorful results. Start with a rack of ribs you can use pork iron or baby ribs. Most of the time the silver skin is removed for you
but if you can see any use of a paper towel to help remove it from the rib side of the rack. Pat the ribs dry with a paper towel then rub on your dry ingredients on both sides. Sprinkle on seasoning salt and your favorite dry rub on top of the rib rack.
Turn the rib rack over to make sure it is well coated and rubbed with seasoning and then set them aside. The secret to making the ribs super-fast is to use an instant pot which is a pressure cooker. Into a bowl of a six-quarter instant pot add in apple juice, apple cider vinegar, and barbecue sauce and stir it together to combine. Place the seasoned rack of ribs inside the instant pot wrapping it around the bowl the bone sides should be facing the center of the pot now cover and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes.
Make sure the steam vent is set to the sealing position. Allow a 10 minutes natural steam release and use oven mitts to switch to the venting position. Wait until the pressure gauge is dropped which indicates that all of the pressure has been released then remove the lid. It is easiest to remove the ribs using tongs let any excess liquid drop off then transfer the ribs onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with a wire rack. This will still work without the rack lining if you do not have one, but it does help to circulate the air underneath. Generously brush the remaining barbecue sauce over the ribs.
Transfer it to the oven and broil it for 5 minutes on high heat. If you prefer you can place the ribs onto a preheated barbecue grill and grill for 5 minutes. This step allows the barbecue sauce to set onto the ribs. Remove the ribs from the oven and let them set 5 to 10 minutes or until they are not too hot to handle. After they are cooled add some more barbecue sauce to serve just brush the ribs with the sauce using a pastry brush.
The sauce caramelizes into the ribs and forms this lovely sticky sweet exterior. Using your knife cut the ribs into small pieces and it cuts through the meat easily so it will be super tender. Take a piece and enjoy it. It is so yummy and easy weeknight meal and does not take a turn of prep. You can use frozen ribs but make sure you season them ahead of the time.
- 3 lb baby back ribs or pork loin ribs
- 6 cups apple juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp liquid smoke optional
- 1 tbsp. seasoning salt
- 2 Tbsp BBQ dry rub
- 2/3 cup sweet BBQ sauce divided
- Pat dry the rack of ribs with a paper towel and rub on your dry ingredients on both sides.
- In the Instant Pot, combine apple juice, vinegar, liquid smoke, and 1/3 cup of bbq sauce.
- Coil the rack of ribs inside the with the bone-side facing the center. Ribs should all be partially submerged. Cook on high pressure for 25 min followed by a 10 min natural pressure release before manually releasing remaining pressure.
- Using two sets of tongs, carefully transfer ribs to a rimmed baking sheet lined with a wire rack with the meat side up. Brush the top and sides with the remaining 1/3 cup bbq sauce.
- Broil in the center of the oven on high for 4-5 min. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5-10 min before serving. Serve with more bbq sauce if desired.