This recipe is taking a few ingredients and twisting them all to make really delicious soft cookies. Start with making the dry ingredients first starting with plain flour in a bowl and whisk with cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. For the wet ingredients, you will beat butter and sugar together briefly just until they come together. Crack in an egg into the stand mixer bowl and add in natural youghurt.
The yoghurt will give the cookies a tang which red velvet is famously known for. Add in vanilla extract then add in the red velvet and beat the mixture until well combined. Once it’s ready, take the flour and cocoa mixture and add into the batter gently then beat on medium speed until it comes together nicely.
At this point, you can add white chocolate or chocolate chips and combine in the batter. Refrigerate the dough for about an hour so it’s easy to roll it into a ball. Once the cookie dough has chilled, use a glove to roll teh dough since there is a lot of food colouring in the dough.
Once you have rolled them into nice tidy balls, space them quite far on the baking sheet because they will spread when baking. Repeat teh process until the dough is finished or your baking tray if filled. Bake the red velvet cookies at 175 degrees Celcius for 10 to 12 minutes. Once they are out of the oven, sandwich them with buttercream then let them warm and you can enjoy them with a glass of milk.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon liquid red food coloring
Cream Cheese filling;
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and red food coloring and mix to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed, just until combined.
- Use a tablespoon measurer to scoop the dough and then roll into balls.
- Line the dough balls on the prepared baking sheets. Use a measuring cup or the palm of your hand to gently flatten the balls just slightly.
- Bake until edges start setting, about 8-9 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the cream cheese filling;
- Beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add more powdered sugar or a splash of milk, if needed, until desired consistency is reached.
- Once the cookies have cooled, add a small spoonful of cream cheese filling onto one cookie.
- Place another cookie on top and press them together to make a cookie sandwich.