Crunchy cabbage and creamy dressing are mixed with tart apples to give you a perfectly balanced side dish that pairs well with a ton of dishes. This apple cabbage slaw pairs well with most meats, which is why I love bringing it to summer potlucks and BBQs.
Cabbage and apple slaw is really easy to make and keeps well in the refrigerator, so you can make it in advance and just pull it out when it’s time to eat. Prepare the coleslaw ingredients then whisk together coleslaw dressing ingredients in a liquid measuring cup. Toss everything together in a large bowl and serve immediately.
To make it easy, we use a bagged coleslaw mix (shredded white and purple cabbage and carrots). Finely chopped a green and apple and a red apple added some scallions and made a quick dressing out of mayo, sour cream, a little sugar, vinegar, and lime juice.
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar or cider)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 pound coleslaw mix
- 1 small bunch scallions chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple chopped fine
- 1 red apple chopped fine
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the mayo, sour cream, sugar, vinegar, lime juice, and some salt & pepper to a small bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Give it a taste and adjust ingredients if needed to suit your tastes.
- Prep your apples and scallions.
- Add the coleslaw mix to a large bowl, along with the apples and scallions.
- Pour the dressing over top and toss until combined. Season with extra salt & pepper as needed.
- Coleslaw can be served immediately or chill it for a few hours first.