This simple cake is for serving as breakfast, brunch, a snack or dessert. Its softness and the rich flavour of vanilla are very enjoyable, and you will find this sponge suitable for plenty of cake creations in your kitchen. Sift all-purpose flour, salt, nutmeg, and baking powder then set it aside then preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celcius.
If you are using salted butter then you will leave the salt out of the dry ingredients. Butter your round cake tin then dust it with flour and set it aside. Add room temperature softened butter in a large bowl then to that added sugar and using a spatula, combine them until the sugar is well incorporated into the butter, nice and fluffy. If you have a mixer, you can add the ingredients together and cream them for around two minutes and they will be ready for the next step.
Beat the eggs in another bowl then add the egg mixture together with vanilla extract into the butter-sugar mixture. Using a whisk, mix them together until they are well incorporated and form a homogenous mixture. The next thing you will do is start adding the sifted dry ingredients in batches while folding it into the batter, you don’t want to overmix your batter, just fold the dry ingredients until the last batch of the mixture is moistened.
Add in a cup of milk and make sure it is mixed with the batter until the mixture is really light then bring your prepared cake pan and pour in the batter. Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes depending on your oven, the cake will rise and become golden brown, use a skewer to taste if the cake is fully baked.
Let the cake cool before serving. Your cake should be moist, sweet, and a little airy on the inside with a yellow colour, this cake is so good. Enjoy.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose sifted flour (320 grams)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar(250grams)
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 10tbsp/350g butter
- 1 cup liquid milk/ 250ml(whole, skim or evaporated)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 degrees C). Oil a baking pan (8 by 2 inches) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat all eggs in another bowl then add to the sugar and butter mixture, add in vanilla and beat well.
- Add in half of the flour, the nutmeg and baking powder and mix until well incorporated. Add in the remaining flour and mix well.
- Finally, add in the milk and mix until evenly distributed in the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for about 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.