This is a simple and delicious sponge cake that is used as the basis for many cakes and various desserts. This chocolate genoise has no raising agent and relies on the air beaten into the eggs for its lightness and volume. Long beating time is required to reach the maximum volume. Before starting fill a mixing bowl with hot tap water and place your eggs to sit in there for 5 minutes to warm.
Warm eggs hold more air when beaten. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celcius or 338 degrees Fahrenheit then line a 7.8 by 2.5 inches round cake tin with parchment paper. Crack the warm eggs into the bowl of a stand mixer and gradually add sugar while beating, you will beat the egg and sugar mixture on high speed for about 20 minutes until light, fluffy and tripled in volume.
Since genoise cake is only leavened with beaten eggs, along beating time will help to get a lighter cake. Sift flour, salt, and cocoa powder twice then add the dry ingredients in batches to the egg mixture while folding gently with a spatula after each addition until all the flour is completely incorporated.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Do not open the oven doors for the first 30 minutes or else the cake will fall. Onc the cake is baked, turn off the oven and crack open the oven door and let the sponge cake rest for five minutes.
Transfer the cake to a wire rack and remove it from the parchment paper then let it cool completely. This light, soft and delicious chocolate cake recipe makes a great breakfast or afternoon treat.
- 200 grams / 7 oz eggs room temperature (about 4 medium eggs)
- 100 grams / 3.5 oz granulated sugar
- 50 grams / 1.7 oz pastry flour (9% protein flour)
- 25 grams / 0,8 oz unsweetened cocoa powder
- a pinch of salt
- Warm the eggs in hot water for about 5 minutes before breaking them in the stand mixer bowl. Warm eggs will hold more air in them when beaten hence you will have a very soft cake.
- Since the eggs are the leavening agent, in this case, you will beat the eggs for about 20 minutes until triple, soft and fluffy.
- Swift in the dry ingredients and use a spatula to fold the ingredients until the batter is well-formed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake the cake in a 170 degrees Celcius preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let the cake sit in the oven once you have switched it off for 5 minutes before allowing it to coo, on a wire rack.