This cake has a rich chcolate flavour and it does contain mayonnaise. The mayonnaise makes this cake really soft and moist, it’s really good on its own or with a dust of powdered sugar. Top with a smooth and creamy chcolate ganache if you are a chocolate lover. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and you are going to bake this cake in a 9 by 13-inch pan, butter the pan and line with a parchment paper then set aside.
Add three eggs along with sugar to a mixing bowl then add vanilla for flavouring and beat on high speed until the mixture is mixed and very light and fluffy. The next ingredient is mayonnaise, add it and beat on low speed. In a separate bowl, you will need all-purpose flour, together with baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk everything in then add unsweetened cocoa powder and whisk that in. You will add the flour to the batter in three additions and alternate that with coffee or water.
Mix everything on low speed until you get a smooth batter. This is a really quick and easy cake batter to make, pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake between 30 to 35 minutes depending on your oven or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. While the cake is baking you can make the chcolate ganache which is a mixture of chocolate and heavy cream.
It is smooth, creamy and rich. Once the cake is out of the oven, let it cool then pour the ganache over the cake and smooth it out and slice it right away or you can set it in the fridge for the chocolate to set. This cake will stay soft for up to 5 days.
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (65 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder (regular unsweetened or Dutch-processed)
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) salt
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), at room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups (335 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (6 grams) pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (220 grams) mayonnaise (full fat or light mayonnaise)
- 1 1/3 cups (320 ml/grams) water or coffee, at room temperature
- 8 ounces (225 grams) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup (180 ml/grams) heavy whipping cream (cream with a 35-40% butterfat content)
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter, or spray with a non-stick vegetable spray, a 9 x 13 x 3 inch (23 x 33 x 8 cm) baking pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk or sift the flour with the cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer), beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla extract, on high speed, until light and fluffy.
- On low speed, beat in the mayonnaise until incorporated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of your bowl as needed. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture (in three additions) and the coffee (or water) (in two additions), beginning and ending with the flour.
- Pour the batter into the pan, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon or offset spatula. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a wire rack and let cool completely before frosting.
- Place the chopped chocolate in medium-sized stainless steel, or heatproof bowl. Set aside. Heat the cream and butter in a saucepan, over medium heat.
- Bring just to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for a few minutes.
- Stir until smooth, then let stand at room temperature until the Ganache has completely cooled and becomes thick.
- Spread the Ganache on the top of the cake.