Arrabiata sauce is one of Italy’s classic sauces, it is simple, delicious and so easy to make. You will need some good quality canned Italian tomatoes and the first thing you will do is fill a big pot with water and add a generous sprinkle of salt then let it come to a boil for the pasta.
Arrabiata sauce is a spicy tomato sauce that’s made with plenty of olive oil, garlic, chopped tomatoes, and red pepper flakes to provide the heat. Penne pasta is the best for this recipe but any shape will work in a pinch. The little tubes are perfect for clinging onto that yummy sauce.
Take a large skillet and add just a teaspoon of olive oil in it because the pancetta that you will be adding will release a lot of its own fat and that you will be using to cook the sauce. cook the pancetta over medium heat for a few minutes until it’s lightly golden crispy. Add in garlic and a pinch of hot pepper flakes, you can add as much or as little as you want, let it cook until the garlic begins to lightly brown.
Add in the crushed tomatoes and let it come to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook your pasta, drain it and put it back in the same pot because it will be much easier to mix everything together in a big pot.
Roughly chop some fresh parsley and add to the sauce then add the sauce to your pasta. Grate a little parmesan cheese and mix it all together. You can also substitute pancetta with some thick-cut bacon and it will work just as well.
- 4 oz/ 113 grams of Pancetta, cut into small dice
- 1 lb of Penne Pasta
- 1 32oz/ 900 ml can of Italian Peeled and Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp of Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp of Olive Oil
- Freshly Grated Parmiggiano Reggiano
- Pinch of Hot Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fill a large pot with water and sprinkle in some salt, bring to a boil.
- In a large skillet with high sides, add the oil and let it get nice and hot over medium heat, add the pancetta and let it cook for a couple of minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Add in the garlic and hot pepper flakes and let it cook for another minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes and give it a nice stir, reduce the heat to medium-low and allow it to cook for about 20 minutes or until the sauce is nice and thick.
- When the sauce has about 10 minutes left, cook the pasta into the boiling water according to package instructions making sure to drain it well.
- Add the drained cooked pasta to the sauce add the parsley and grate in about ½ cup of Parmigiano, give everything a big stir adjust the seasoning if necessary and enjoy