For a dish packed with so much flavor, this is actually pretty easy to make. There are just a few ingredients needed for the chicken and sauce and they blend together perfectly to give you a mix of creamy, garlicky, mushroomy goodness in each and every bite. If you are not a huge mushroom fan, just stuff them, or put them in a sauce and you will absolutely love them. These mushrooms added a new texture and awesome flavor to the dish.
This creamy coconut mushroom chicken is the perfect way to impress your loved ones. A lot of paleo or dairy-free creamy mushroom dishes use coconut cream, which is a great replacement for dairy but is very high in fat.
This entire dish can be prepared in just one pan in less than 30 minutes, make it an awesome addition to the weeknight dinner roster. and you’ll be devouring all this creamy goodness over some rice or zoodles in a matter of minutes.
- 1.5 lbs. bone-in, skin on organic free-range chicken thighs
- sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- Smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp. Avocado oil
- 3.5 Ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp. Coconut flour
- ½ Cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp fresh sage leaves
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- Chopped parsley and fresh lemon juice to serve
- To start, slice the mushrooms, mince the garlic and set them aside.
- Now, pat the chicken dry with a clean paper towel.
- Season them with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Heat 2 tbsp of avocado oil in a large skillet and sear chicken thighs for ~7-10 minutes on both sides or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet with the drippings from the chicken, add the last tbsp of avocado oil.
- Then, add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté until the mushrooms are tender.
- Now, add coconut flour and cook for a couple minutes.
- Then, add the chicken broth to deglaze the pan.
- Stir in the coconut milk and sage leaves and bring to a simmer.
- Now, taste and season with more salt if necessary.
- Simmer sauce for a few minutes, stirring frequently until it thickens (approx. 5-7 minutes).
- To finish, nestle chicken into the sauce, add fresh parsley and continue to simmer on low for a few minutes until all the flavors marry.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and enjoy.