Roasted chicken marinated in a fantastic Cuban Mojo marinade is citrusy, garlicky, with fresh lime flavours and cilantro. Traditionally, the base of the mojo chicken sauce is a mix of citrus juice, garlic and olive oil. For this recipe, delicious fresh oranges were used, together with a combination of herbs. You simply use some of the mojo sauce as the base of the sauce and then add chopped pineapple, avocado and cherry tomatoes. It’s is so refreshing and so delicious, you are going to love evry bit of this dish.
The best way to complete this dish is to add some steamed rice and black beans to the side. They are the perfect addition to this delicious Cuban Mojo Chicken recipe. Baking the marinaded chicken is the best way of keeping the chicken succulent and keeping those flavours strong. It also means that you are not having to keep an eye on the chicken, just pop it in the oven and come back to it 35 minutes later.
Packs some serious flavours. Cuban Mojo Chicken is really easy to make. You make your marinade by adding all the Mojo Sauce ingredients in the blender. You then divide it into two halves. One half of this Mojo sauce will become your chicken marinade and the other half will be the base for the pineapple-avocado salsa.
Once your chicken has marinated, you simply pop it in the oven with some onions and let it cook for 35 minutes, until golden brown. Meanwhile add to the remaining Mojo sauce some chopped avocado, pineapple and cherry tomatoes to make the fresh pineapple-avocado salsa. You really should try making this full of flavour Cuban mojo chicken as soon as possible. It’s the perfect weeknight dinner that will be requested again and again by your family. It’s also great for weekend dinners with friends.
- 4 bone-in chicken leg quarters
- ½ cup of orange juice
- ⅓ lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 lime zest
- ½ tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black ground pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 onion quartered
- ½ avocado
- 4 ounces pineapple diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup steamed rice optional
- Preheat oven at 350F
- Add in the food processor the orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, lime zest, cumin, oregano, salt, and background pepper
- Process for 10 seconds. You don’t want the sauce to become too creamy
- Add the olive oil and process for 5 seconds, just to combine ever so slightly
- Add the chicken and chopped onion in a large bowl.
- Pour half of the mojo sauce over the chicken and onions. Cover with cling film, and marinate in the fridge for 3 hours
- Set aside the remaining half of the mojo sauce for later use
- After chicken has marinated add chicken and onions on a baking tray, together with the sauce it marinated in.
- Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes
- Meanwhile, chop up the pineapple, avocado and cherry tomatoes into small pieces and add them in a small bowl.
- Mix in the remaining half of Mojo sauce you saved earlier.
- Drizzle pineapple-avocado salsa over baked chicken, add steamed rice and beans to the side and enjoy.