Ginger chicken curry is all about a fusion of spices and rich creamy gravies. This spicy and aromatic dish is a perfect dish for special occasions and festivals. What makes ginger chicken curry a flavoursome delight is the use of ginger, which gives this delicacy a twist of flavours.
To make this chicken curry we are using curry cut pieces of chicken, you could also use chicken breast or chicken thighs if you wish. First, the chicken pieces are to be marinated using a simple marinade of ginger paste, garlic paste, lemon juice and salt.
It’s recommended that the chicken be left to marinate for at least half an hour. Then the chicken pieces are grilled on a grill pan till it’s browned on all sides. A gravy is then prepared.
To make the gravy, mustard oil is heated in a pan and to this, we add in cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon and bay leaf. Once the spices have crackled for a few minutes, we add in the chopped onions and fry it until it turns golden brown.
Then chopped ginger and garlic are added in and it is fried, to this chopped green chillies are added. To this mix, add in the whisked yoghurt and flour that helps to give this dish a nice, rich texture. To this aromatic curry mix, add in the grated ginger and grilled chicken, the pan is to be covered till the chicken is well cooked and it soaks in all the flavours of the curry.
Depending on the amount of gravy required, you can add in a little more water if needed. Finally, for some extra zing, lemon juice is added in and the ginger chicken curry is garnished with ginger juliennes and chopped coriander.
- 1 kg of chicken
- 4 tomatoes, medium size (roughly cut)
- 250 ml or 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp salt, leveled or as to taste
- 1 Tbsp red chili powder heaped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 100 gm ginger
- 3/4 cup oil
- In a blender, put roughly chopped tomatoes and milk. Blend till tomatoes are well blended and no chunks are left. Let it remain in the blender for now.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot and add chicken in it. Stir fry till chicken starts turning white. Add salt and further stir fry till chicken completely turns white from pink.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, and coriander seeds powder. Mix well so that chicken is well coated with spices. Now pour the tomatoes and milk mixture.
- In the same blender’s jug, put 1 1/2 cups water. Cover the lid and shake well so that the sides are washed.
- Now pour this water in chicken and mix. Increase flame to high and bring a boil. Add in the ginger.
- Mix, cover and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally till chicken is cooked.
- Remove cover and reduce water on high heat till the gravy gets a little thickened and leaves oil on sides.