If you love lemons double the lemon zest in the recipe- it takes the lemon cake to another level of zestiness. This simple lemon sponge cake will wow anyone who takes a bite at this cake. In a large bowl, add unsalted butter, one baking tip, if you didn’t soften the butter before starting, you can cube the butter then set it in the microwave for about 15 seconds and it will soften. Add sugar to the butter then cream them until light and fluffy, it is easy to use a handheld mixer.
Next, you are going to add in the eggs one at a time while beating the mixture after each addition until the mixture is very smooth then you will add vanilla extract, fresh lemon juice, and lemon zest then mix them and set aside. In a medium-sized bowl, add all the dry ingredients that are all-purpose flour, baking soda and salt then whisk them until well combined then start adding the dry ingredients to the butter mixture alternating with the sour cream in batches until well combined.
Butter your baking pan then line with a parchment paper on the bottom. Add the cake batter and spread the cake evenly in the pan then bake the cake in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes then allow the cake to cool before removing it from the pan and let it cool completely.
For the glaze, you will mix powdered sugar and lemon juice in a bowl until you achieve your desired consistency. Pour the glaze over the cooled cake then top with lemon zest and wait for the glaze to set before serving.
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1–2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/3 cup (80 grams) sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups (180 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 2–3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Line an 8 or 9-inch pan with parchment paper, then preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To make the cake, in a large bowl, add the softened unsalted butter and organic sugar. Mix it until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture. It is advised to add the eggs one at a time to ensure that they are all well-blended.
- Add in the vanilla extract, fresh lemon juice, and fresh lemon zest to the mixture. Mix well and set the bowl aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl, add the dry ingredients – all-purpose flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Whisk until well-combined.
- Add the dry ingredients mixture to the wet ingredients mixture. Mix until well-combined, then add the sour cream.
- Pour into pan and bake in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. You can check your cake if it is done by sticking in a toothpick or a cake tester.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 15 minutes before glazing and topping with lemon zest.